Computer is randomly freezing @ normal temps

shockks

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Hi,

Recently, my computer has been freezing very randomly. I have been monitoring my temps of my cpu and gpu and they are both normal, actually great. This all started happening just within the last day. I had performed a defragmentation on my SSD (which I now know is a bad thing), and all of these freezes started to happen. Do I need to reformat my computer and reinstall windows? I'm hoping for a less dramatic solution if possible.

I am currently running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
My computer specs are:
i7-930 w/ corsair H50 heatsink
6gb DDR3 g.skill triple channel RAM
xfx ati HD 5870
Mushkin 120gb SSD
Western Digital 1TB
Corsair tx850 PSU

Thanks!

Solution
I would secure erase the SSD and then check its status with a tool from the manufacturer if they have one. The secure erase will undo the harm you may have done with trying a defragmentation.

shockks

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Thank you for the quick reply!

I did both things. System repair didn't do anything and the MEMTEST had no errors. Would a system restore do anything? Go back to a date before I did the defrag?

shockks

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Okay, so from what I've noticed. My computer won't freeze when I'm playing a game such as Battlefield 3, or League of Legends. However, it freezes when I am either browsing chrome, or I'm on skype, or even browsing through my folders. There is no BSOD, the mouse just stops moving and the computer won't respond to anything.

The system restore did not work, I'm assuming because it still froze. I read on some other posts that it may be my GPU? I find it hard to believe because it doesn't freeze during gaming. Also, my computer isn't overclocked in any sort of way.

I'm just trying to avoid having to do a fresh install if at all possible. I appreciate all the responses.

RealBeast

Titan
You can do a repair install instead of a full re-install. That replaces all the Windows files and requires you to re-update but it saves your program installs and data. HERE is a good guide. After that, I would reinstall your drivers and the re-update Windows.

It's a lot of work, but a lot less than a clean install. I've used it a number of times with success, although it is not 100%. And as always back up important data to be on the safe side.

shockks

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

Well I ended up doing a fresh install. I installed windows 8 because I wanted to just give it a try. I used it for about 4-5 days without a problem, except the fact a lot of my games were incompatible. However, I did not experience any freezes.

I decided to reinstall Windows 7. So I did another fresh install. I used it all day without any issues and figured my problem was solved. However, at the end of the night, it froze again. And has done it a couple times since yesterday.

Since the freezes started happening, there were only two changes done to the computer. I installed a program called display fusion, and I ran a defragment on my SSD. I uninstalled display fusion, but problem still occurs. The only thing I can think of now is that my SSD is faulty.

Any thoughts?