Question Computer is randomly losing signal, then crashing

Nov 8, 2021
Hey so earlier today I was casually using my computer earlier and it restarted itself, weird I thought but not really any alarm bells ringing.

What followed was windows error codes and me resetting windows to a fresh install, I noticed the ssd screw was loose so I screwed it in tight and began using my pc with no problems.

a couple of hours later it’s now losing signal to the monitor, with the only solution being to restart, what’s weird is my Bluetooth headphones stop playing a short couple of seconds after, so it must be a crash.

the monitor doesn’t actually lose signal it just displays a black screen (can see by it being glowing black). I have to force restart to fix it, only for it to keep happening.

anyone know what could be happening?

specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x,
Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC
16gb (2x8) Corsair vengeance rgb pro memory
Sabrent Rocket 1tb M.2 ssd

Nov 8, 2021
I’m unable to tell if it happens in safe mode because it only usually crashes when starting up a game, one thing that helped is when I was playing BeamNG, one time the display came back and it said "The GPU was disconnected". How can it be disconnected? Is my GPU broken? is it the mobo, pretty worried now

Nov 8, 2021
You think a 3070 is cheaper than a standard atx mobo? Also I don’t have a usb stick, nor Linux, nor have ever used Linux in my life. The gpu crashes often when I open rocket league. Sometimes it comes back and says the gpu is not responding.

Here’s 2 videos for you:
https://streamable.com/kpevr8

in the second one (recent) no program thought there was even a gpu connected to my pc, rocket league was lagging badly, and I was getting windows chopping when dragging windows

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
You think a 3070 is cheaper than a standard atx mobo? Also I don’t have a usb stick, nor Linux, nor have ever used Linux in my life. The gpu crashes often when I open rocket league. Sometimes it comes back and says the gpu is not responding.

Here’s 2 videos for you:
https://streamable.com/kpevr8

in the second one (recent) no program thought there was even a gpu connected to my pc, rocket league was lagging badly, and I was getting windows chopping when dragging windows
Yeah I was apparently tired when I answered that. I still am but I will reply anyway.
Ok, all of these point towards a faulty GPU or at least a bad driver. So without a USB and without Safe Mode, let's see:
First try it with only the internal GPU if your AMD has one. I am on a rather old and problematic phone so I am not looking it up at the moment. That means taking out the GPU physically to be sure it won't cause issues.
If it runs as it should, albeit not as powerfully as with a dGPU, reseat the GPU and make sure it is seated properly.

Obviously take the necessary precautions not to fry anything.
Reseat the GPU

Nov 8, 2021
My CPU is a Ryzen 7 3700x, meaning it's not compatible as an apu, I don't have spare gpus and I've reseated it multiple times, and given it a dust clean. It's getting worse and worse and worse. from lagging, to pixels all over the screen, to random squares rendering in discord, to striked green lines flashing all over the screen.

Nov 8, 2021
I bought a new motherboard and case and i'm going to completely rebuild the pc to perfection. That will signal dwon the facti t's the gpu and if it is then i'm going to be so <Mod Edit>... the gpu cost me like £800...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 8, 2021
Update: Photoshop has info saying that im usiong windows default renderer driver when I just installed the nvidia ones last restart, every restart the drivers uninstall themselves. This is REALLY bad

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
I figured that is what the x means but I wasn't sure.
Now that is interesting...I think it keeps on disconnecting physically, causing the default driver to come in, but that seems unlikely to cause the uninstallation of a driver. Possible that a virus could do that.
Maybe there is another compatible GPU lying around to test it with?
Is your GPU under warranty?

Nov 8, 2021
I don't have another gpu to test it with, i just went on a phone call with the online retailer "curry's pc world" about it, I bought it close to a year ago, and they said all their products come with a year warranty.

I can't log into their website and I can't find my receipt in my emails. I will continue to look but it doesn't seem so great because i'm not sure entirely what month it was last year i bought my gpu

Nov 8, 2021
My motherboard and new case just arrived, along wit h that i'll do a full reset and if there's still issues it can only be:
cpu,
gpu,
ram

msot likely it's gpu if it still proceeds to crash

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
My motherboard and new case just arrived, along wit h that i'll do a full reset and if there's still issues it can only be:
cpu,
gpu,
ram

msot likely it's gpu if it still proceeds to crash
Agreed.

Try asking them if you can get it replaced without the receipt- Just have them go by the serial number and they should be able to see when it was purchased. Some sellers do respect the warranty even if there is no proof of purchase, since it should be in their system when it was bought. Obviously the chances would be much greater if you could find the receipt.

Nov 8, 2021
I called them up and it's not returnable. When I start it up sometimes its green lines everywhere, sometimes it starts up and works normal, but a small bump of the desk causes it to lose display and restart. It's entirely the gpu, new mobo and case and it's doing the same thing.

I think because the bump it could be maybe the pcie connector is bent slightly? Maybe I could make an attempt to unbend it?
Note: it crashes either under when i join a game (load increase) or when i bump the desk.

I'll also point out that the green lines aren't visible when i screenshot stuff, which is insanely weird.

Nov 8, 2021
It can't be that though? The whole PC restarts itself whenever I lose the signal, so surely it can't be cable/monitor? I also can't really find a cable, and only own 1 monitor so I'll buy a cable if you still think it's the cable