Computer is starting to get slow, can anybody help?

Aug 8, 2018
I recently switched from HDD to SSD and upgraded one of my monitors from 720p 60hz to 1080p 144 hz, the other is still 720p 60hz. The past few weeks since I did those upgrades I've noticed a lot of studdering, freezing and pausing on basically any activity I do. Whether it's opening tabs in chrome while im doing nothing else on my computer, or watching netflix while playing a video game on my second monitor. My best guess is that some of my parts are getting a little out of date and I dont mind having to put in some money for upgrades. I've looked into a few sites like UserBenchmark and PcPartPicker to help me look into stuff a little, but I'm not 100% confident on what I should do to upgrade or fix the problem. at least on userbenchmark it shows that i could just upgrade my graphics card and it should help me out tremendously but I dont wanna drop the money on it before i know if it will solve the problem or not.

Baseline stats of my PC from UserBenchmark:
Baseline Bench: Game 42%, Desk 68%, Work 49%
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 $400
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960 $200
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB $117
HDD: Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2TB $54
RAM: Unknown TD4G16C11-H11 4x4GB
MBD: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 $648

Solution
Good catch.
Malware is a nuisance, but is not usually dangerous.
Uninstall malwarebytes for monitoring and just occasionally run it to check for malware.
You might also clean your system of as much "instrumentation" as possible.
google will give you lots of settings to disable.
Here is one hit:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/windows-10-settings-to-change

Look at your startup task list.
disable all those that are not necessary.
Now important is it if nvidia is not up to date? disable the constant checking and update only when you get a new game or one seems to be misbehaving.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
First thing you should try is scanning your computer with malwarebytes or something similar.

Also try opening up your task manager when it starts stuttering to see if any other processes are hogging your resources.

Aug 8, 2018
I have malwarebytes run a full computer scan every night while i am not using my pc, so unless its something that is passing through malwarebytes i dont think its virus related. normally i also have my task manager open and visible on my second monitor and it doesnt jump up when it freezes, it just freezes for a few seconds and goes back to normal. or as ive experienced with google chrome i click on something and it doesnt load for 30 seconds where as before everything was pretty much instant

Aug 8, 2018

I have malwarebytes run a full computer scan every night while i am not using my pc, so unless its something that is passing through malwarebytes i dont think its virus related. normally i also have my task manager open and visible on my second monitor and it doesnt jump up when it freezes, it just freezes for a few seconds and goes back to normal. or as ive experienced with google chrome i click on something and it doesnt load for 30 seconds where as before everything was pretty much instant

What has changed during the past few weeks?

One thing you might do is to install the latest nvidia drivers directly downloaded from nvidia.
Sometimes, windows 10 pushes out less than optimal drivers.

Can you use system restore to reset back to a point when all was well?

Aug 8, 2018

I haven't changed much during the past few weeks other than the SSD and the Monitor. Only thing I recall doing to my computer was I disabled Cortana cause it was extremely annoying that it forced itself of windows 10 users. I probably have a restore point from before then but it was such a hassle to get rid of in the first place. Last night I updated my graphics drivers through GeForce Experience because i thought it might fix it but it i'm still havning the issues.

Aug 8, 2018

I didnt notice this until about 10 minutes ago, i was just testing to try and cause the freezing to happen on purpose and i noticed that every time it happens all of my processes are using 3% or less CPU, but Malwarbytes Services jumps up to between 10 and 13%. I might be wrong but it seems like Malwarebytes is what is causing the freezing.

EDIT: After doing some digging through Malwarebytes forums, it seems that Malwarebytes "Ransomware Protection" is what is causing all of my issues with the lag at least with chrome (I havn't done other testing yet). I have disabled the ransomware protection and nothing else and my pc was instantly faster. Hopefully it helps with games too.

Good catch.
Malware is a nuisance, but is not usually dangerous.
Uninstall malwarebytes for monitoring and just occasionally run it to check for malware.
You might also clean your system of as much "instrumentation" as possible.
google will give you lots of settings to disable.
Here is one hit:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/windows-10-settings-to-change

Look at your startup task list.
disable all those that are not necessary.
Now important is it if nvidia is not up to date? disable the constant checking and update only when you get a new game or one seems to be misbehaving.

Solution