Question Computer is stuck in an off and on loop when I press the power button.

Sep 12, 2021
Heres what happened.

I attempted to installed a h60 corsair cooler, but I had to take off some screws, and I noticed one dropped under neath the motherboard, so I try to reach for it and later give up cause I didn't see no point. After my installation, I turn on my computer and smell something funny, like a quick burn of chemicals or something, then I notice my computer was turning off and on repeatedly. So I disconnected the ssd, hard drive, gpu, ram, other side fans but one. The only thing I still had installed was the cpu itself and the stock fan and one side fan, and the psu. I turned it on again and it was still stuck in the on and off loop, so what I did then was took out cpu and the cpu stock fan, and had the psu only connected through the motherboard with the cpu power plugged cord plugged in the motherboard, so then I noticed nothing shut off and 1 side fan I still had plugged in was spinning, and that my power indicator light was on. So is my cpu blown out or my motherboard?

Also, I checked the back of my motherboard and noticed a burnt copper piece where I assumed the screw was touching underneath the motherboard when it fell. So I can't tell if I have a cpu failure or a motherboard failure. Psu seems to be fine as when the cpu is disconnected from the motherboard, that one side fan started spinning just fine with out the cpu being installed. So I have no clue what's causing my pc to be stuck in that off and on loop. Also, when I hold the power button when the cpu and cpu stock cooler is installed (this is when the on and loop is still acurring) , I noticed that the turning off and on loop stops and that my pc stays on but with nothing being shown or displayed on my monitor, and that my power light indicator seems to be off on the computer case.

If someone could help me I would really appreciate it alot! Thank you!

Specs
Alienware r12
11700F
3080Ti FE
16Gb XMP 3200
1000PSU
Alienware motherboard

Last edited:

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Nope, just the screw
Well if there is a burn in the back of the motherboard then the problem could be the the motherboard. Try and swap your cpu with a different motherboard to see if it works or not
Btw you mean this is where the part it was burned?
241271559_924563321736359_783874005771722113_n.jpg

Sep 12, 2021
Heres a picture of what it looks like. I circled the spot where I think that caused this whole mess.

Pictures
https://ibb.co/QJhdgkd
But the problem is, is that when the cpu and cpu stock cooler is not installed, the motherboard turns on, as I see the side fan spinning and the power light ndicator on. Thats why I am confused if it's the cpu is blown out or that spot is just affecting the motherboard when the cpu is installed.