[SOLVED] Computer is stuttering from mouse movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos21

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
So, out of nowhere, my computer has started stuttering on and off. It seems to come and go as it pleases but happens mostly when first getting on my PC/botting up. It only freezes when moving the mouse. Videos and games play smoothly, even when moving the camera with WASD keys, up until I move my mouse. It's starting to get on my nerves and happen more frequently. I've rolled back windows updates, tried recovering before updates, I've reinstalled my drivers. I've scanned for viruses. Any idea what could cause this? I'll post a video of the problem.

Computer Specs:
C:\ SSD 500gb
D:\ SATA 500gb
GPU: Radeon r9 290x
CPU: Intel 2600 3.4ghz+turbo (Sandy Bridge)
RAM: 2x 8gb Crucial
Mobo: Gateway FX6850 (i know its a pos and is why i cant upgrade yet)
video:
View: https://youtu.be/t4ArHn65EFQ

Last edited:

VoxLuna

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
bit.ly
A couple more ideas come to mind because of the system's age, and the fact the problem is intermittent:

I'd want to rule out fatigue (or corrosion) in the mouse cord (or USB port). 1) Unplug and replug that connector, then 2) try it on another port. That may reseat whatever, electrically, might have worn or fouled. If that doesn't affect the problem, 3) try another mouse, too.

Chaos21

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
So taking the steps to reinstall and update all my drivers eventually paid off. I think I needed a driver for my mouse and I also found a newer chipset driver. I haven't had any stutters in over 24 hours. Colif I'm going to go ahead and call it solved, Thanks guys. Also I recently took apart my very old GPU in order to put new thermal paste on because it was overheating a lot, that was months ago though so I'm not sure what caused this.

Status
Not open for further replies.