Question Computer is unable to restart

OxGeNiD

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Hey,
I have a pretty new pc, probably like 5 months old and first everything worked just fine, then all of a sudden the pc stopped restarting? Whenever I click on the restart button in windows, or some update restarts computer, the computer will not SHUT DOWN, just the screen turns black, but the computer keeps running, only hard shutdown can get it from that state. There are no other issues with it, no overheating, no performance issues, nothing it just does not restart. I have tried clearing the CMOS battery by removing it, by using the jumpers, I have tried reinstalling windows three times both 11 and 10, by the way the inability to restart occurs even when I am still installing windows and it needs to restart I have to hard shutdown everytime it needs to restart, I have tried using two different ssds for the windows installation and updating the BIOS to the newest version, using the default settings in bios.
Specs :
GPU : Rx 6800
CPU : Ryzen 5 7600
MOBO : MSI B650 PRO S Wifi
RAM : Patriot Viper Venom 32gb 6000mhz
PSU : Gigabyte aorus p750w
SSD :xpg gammix s11 pro m.2 nvme and some samsung nvme

Appreciate any help!

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Whenever I click on the restart button in windows, or some update restarts computer, the computer will not SHUT DOWN,"

My thought is that during the restart some buggy or corrupt process is being launched but not able to end or stop as it should normally do. Resulting in the black screen and forcing you to do a hard shutdown.

Which could be causing further file corruption and problems.

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

Will the system boot via Integrated Graphics?

Also:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place. If not sure then carefully unplug or unseat and then plug in or reseat as applicable, (Leave the CPU alone for now.)

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melting, cracks, browned or blackened areas, loose or missing screws, pinched or kinked wires.

Reactions: stonecarver

TRENDING THREADS