Question Computer Issues

MangoBorracho

Prominent
May 6, 2022
I built my computer in 2020 and it's been working great up until about 6 months ago. It started having issues posting but after power cycling once or twice it eventually boots. When it's running I get this weird stuttering of the whole system including audio and video. This happens a handful of times a day while using it. Also, a new issue just started happening where the desktop goes completely black except for the icons. This doesn't seem to impact performance and if I open task manager then restart windows explorer it fixes it for a few minutes but eventually goes black again.

I've tried reseating everything and that didn't seem to do much. I've also updated the bios and graphics card driver.

Anyone have insight on what might be causing these issues and what I can do to fix it?

I'm currently running the latest version of windows 11

here's some specs:

Mobo: Asus X570 Tuf Gaming Pro Wifi

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x 12 core

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 2080 Super

Ram: G Skill Ripjaws 16GB 3600MHz x 2 for a total of 32GB

Storage: Corsair MP600 NVME 1TB , Samsung QVO 870 1TB, Samsung QVO 870 2 TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x Gold

Lutfij

Titan
a new issue just started happening where the desktop goes completely black except for the icons. This doesn't seem to impact performance and if I open task manager then restart windows explorer it fixes it for a few minutes but eventually goes black again.
I'd try and fabricate a bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools for Windows 11 and then reinstall the OS in offline mode. Once you've installed the OS, manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer.

Either one or both tools may provide some relevant error codes, warnings, or even informational events that are being captured just before or at the time problems that occur.

Start with Reliability History. Much more end user friendly and the timeline format may reveal some pattern.

Event Viewer can also be used but requires more time effort to navigate and undestand.

To help:

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Any given entry in both tools can be clicked to obtain more details. The details may or may not be helpful.

Error codes may provide a lead or two but tend to be too general to be fully useful.