[SOLVED] Computer just died on me. CPU or GPU? Neither?

arcticcs

Honorable
Mar 2, 2015
Hello everyone,

Specs :
CPU : Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo : MSI Tomahawk B450 Max
GPU : Sapphire nitro+ RX 5700 XT
PSU : Seasonic Focus Gold 650w
AIO : Corsair H150i
Every single component is relatively new (not even 1y) and has been working up until today with no trouble. I never get temps above 77°C on my GPU while gaming intensively and around 60-65°C on my CPU.

My computer just turned off by itself (crashed? No BSOD) while gaming after 15 mins. I went to turn it back on, my monitor had no signal and that's when I realised my GPU's RGB didn't light up anymore.
On my Mobo, the CPU led indicator also stays on. On the manual, it says this led is on when the CPU is 'not detected or fail'.
I opened the case, checked everything was well connected, changed the PCIE cables on my GPU, just in case. Changed GPU to monitor cable from DP to HDMI just in case. Nothing changed. That was the easy part.

I'm leaning towards GPU failure. However, on the mobo, there's also a red indicator in case of GPU fail, which doesn't light up.
So I'm having two opposite indication of an issue :
  • the CPU led which suggests it failed
  • the RGB on my GPU which doesn't light up, which (I think), should suggest it failed too + no monitor signal
Weirdly enough, the power indicator on my computer case doesn't light up anymore when I turn on the computer.

Do you guys have any idea how I should approach the problem?

Thank you in advance,
Cheers,

Solution
UPDATE : after many different check up, I think i've found the root of the problem.
It's the Ram, one stick is faulty. I swapped them and booted up with just one. The other one still doesn't boot up.
Note to self : check the RAM !! It is the easiest and should have been the first thing I tried.

Do you know if the GPU fans turn upon startup? If so then that connector if fine. If not it could be PSU.

My bad, you were right, they do turn upon start up for a few seconds when the GPU starts.

SH Gaming

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
I am wondering if the MOBO died. It is indicating the GPU is fine but is not showing any post but it is showing CPU failure. It could also be PSU but I think that would be less likely. Do you know if the GPU fans turn upon startup? If so then that connector if fine. If not it could be PSU. If anyone else has other reasoning please give your explications as to why it would be (I am pretty New to this stuff but my logical reasoning helps [as I say all of this in school..])

arcticcs

Honorable
Mar 2, 2015
Thank you.
Yes maybe it's the Mobo. So I tried to get rid completely of my GPU. I still get the Led indicator for CPU but no indicator lights up for GPU. So whether or not I have the GPU installed doesn't change a thing.

The GPU fans don't turn on on start up, but then again, they never did turn on up until load. So that's normal.

I think the PSU is perfectly fine tbh, I forgot to mention, every thing else runs normally on start up. My AIO fans turn on etc...

EDIT: I tried to put a GPU from a friend (he has the 3080 :sweatsmile:) inside my case, we couldn't get a signal on his monitor either. Sadly I couldn't try my GPU in his case. Looks like it may not be the GPU?

Last edited:

arcticcs

Honorable
Mar 2, 2015
UPDATE : after many different check up, I think i've found the root of the problem.
It's the Ram, one stick is faulty. I swapped them and booted up with just one. The other one still doesn't boot up.
Note to self : check the RAM !! It is the easiest and should have been the first thing I tried.

Do you know if the GPU fans turn upon startup? If so then that connector if fine. If not it could be PSU.

My bad, you were right, they do turn upon start up for a few seconds when the GPU starts.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS