Question Computer just shut off, no signs of power input

CatalystGamez

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Hello,
This just happened a few minutes ago. I was on my computer, casually using it, when it just shut off. There were no lights on inside the case, so I knew that it must have been a power related issue. I change where it was plugged into, nothing. Dusted it with the Compu Cleaner, nothing. Unplugged, dusted and reconnected the entire PSU... Still nothing.

I'm afraid that this means that the PSU is dead, and I'll have to but a new one, but the big worry here is that money is really tight at the moment, and to get a new, decent PSU is about £100, which is nearly all I have left for the month.

There has been another issue, where the monitor would sometimes turn off for a second before coming back on, which could be something related to either the GPU or again, power issues with the PSU.

What do I do? Is it dead?

Link to build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZVPPkd

Please someone get back as soon as possible, this is really important to me, being my life's worth. Every penny I have had has gone into this machine.

David.

CatalystGamez

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
How OLD is your PSU model ? I presume you are having this model, EVGA - SuperNOVA G3, which is good unit...

Are you using a GPU to boot the system, or some onboard graphics solution ?
I'm using the GPU. Do you suggest I take it out and try without it? The issue with that is, that there is absolutely no power getting into the system. There are LED's on the mobo and RAM, however, they do not light up any more. So I would doubt that that would fix it.

CatalystGamez

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Try the paperclip test if the PSU is dead or not.
https://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply
It's recommended to connect something to the PSU (something inexpensive is recommended, a case fan for example) before running the test
Would it really be worth doing that? Since the system doesn't receive any power, would I have any need for a PSU that doesn't work properly?

Apr 3, 2019
also I'd remove the front panel off Your pc case ..sometimes the button becomes dis-connected.. but some good advice here already -really what would be ideal is a mass skype call -with You showing Your camera around Your case while listening to Us all.. Do You not have a spare PSU? 300+
-as long as You don't go into a game or run an intensive program it will be fine & I agree the onboard graphics should be tested, Me I'd unconnect any none essential HDD/CD/DVD drives too so its a bare system to troubleshoot, number the sata cables or take pictures with your camera/phone & make sure everything is connected properly onto Your Mobo. goodluck. 0range.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

CatalystGamez

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
So UPDATE, I put in an old PSU (450W) and it got power (but no display, but might be due to not plugging everything in properly).

Is that an expected result? Or can the mobo still be at fault here?

EDIT: okay, so I get suck with no display and a "9C" code... What does that mean?
Also, I smell something weird... Like burnt or crisped... Maybe electric... Is that bad?

Last edited:

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
So UPDATE, I put in an old PSU (450W) and it got power (but no display, but might be due to not plugging everything in properly).

Is that an expected result? Or can the mobo still be at fault here?

EDIT: okay, so I get suck with no display and a "9C" code... What does that mean?
Also, I smell something weird... Like burnt or crisped... Maybe electric... Is that bad?

Try to plug only MoBo and plug the HDMI to MoBo, don't plug the GPU. Can you turn it on? Since your CPU has an iGPU, you should get some picture.

Your CPU requires 91W and GPU requires 350W, that's total 441W + some other stuff you've connected. which could be too much for the PSU.

9C probably means it's searching some boot device. Probably you didn't connected the HDD/SSD, right?

CatalystGamez

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Try to plug only MoBo and plug the HDMI to MoBo, don't plug the GPU. Can you turn it on? Since your CPU has an iGPU, you should get some picture.

Your CPU requires 91W and GPU requires 350W, that's total 441W + some other stuff you've connected. which could be too much for the PSU.

9C probably means it's searching some boot device. Probably you didn't connected the HDD/SSD, right?
I plugged in the Mobo and CPU power, as well as a perif cable. It got power, just not display. I did put the display cable directly into the mobo, and the GPU was uninstalled sat on my desk. As for storage, I have a PCiE SSD, so it was plugged in. I also only had the display cable plugged in, as well as 2 dongles for headphones and mouse. I got no display, just the 9C code.

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Okay, I see.
I've been searching a bit more. Code 9C should have something to do with USB devices. I would try to unplug the dongles and remove the SSD as well. Just keep the CPU, RAM, and keyboard. Then try if I can access BIOS.
If not, I'll suspect the bad PSU fried the Mobo... But I may be wrong

CatalystGamez

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
UPDATE:
I spent the money (Rip food for this month) and got a new PSU (the evga 750 g3, so a upgrade over the g2? Think they're pretty much the same though) and it all works now.

Before I get too settled, is there anything I should do? Like bench it or something to make sure it's all stable?

Thank you everyone who has given replies in the same day, it really helped!

TRENDING THREADS