[SOLVED] Computer keeps crashing after a few hours of use/when i have too many apps open...

Aaayron

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
MoBo: MSI B450M Mortar Max
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz DDR4 (running at 2133MHz bcs i can't OC it for some reason)
GPU: MSI Aero ITX GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB GDDR6
SSD: Western Digital SN550 500GB NVMe
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
PSU: Silverstone ET500 80+ Gold Full Modular

whenever i have Adobe apps (i'm a designer so Illustrator and Photoshop are almost always open), Discord, & 10+ tabs open on Chrome all open at the same time, it's fine for like 4-5 hours, but everything just crashes and burns for some reason after a while and i end up having to restart. it sucks that i have to constantly be on watch with as to how many apps i can have running at the same time... i built this computer specifically so that i wouldn't have to worry about that anymore and i can be a multitasker with no issues. it constantly ruins my work flow and my productivity suffers because of it.

i have a feeling it may be a ram problem but i'm not too sure. can anyone else give advice? i really just want this computer to work.

Solution
hi Mike. i have more than half of both my drives still free with space. along with that i constantly check task manager ram consumption tab and see that i'm barely using 40-50% of my ram when under that much load. that's as heavy as it gets with me, so i figured 32gb should be no problem. i've also already adjusted adobe scratch files from the beginning since i've had my fair share of crashes because of it (on my old laptop. i've had zero issues bcs of it since).

i'm not familiar with virtual memory or that pagefile.sys you mentioned, would like to know more about that and how it relates to my problem thank you.
Here are some links about virtual memory, explains better than I can...
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
MoBo: MSI B450M Mortar Max
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz DDR4 (running at 2133MHz bcs i can't OC it for some reason)
GPU: MSI Aero ITX GTX 1650 SUPER 4GB GDDR6
SSD: Western Digital SN550 500GB NVMe
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
PSU: Silverstone ET500 80+ Gold Full Modular

whenever i have Adobe apps (i'm a designer so Illustrator and Photoshop are almost always open), Discord, & 10+ tabs open on Chrome all open at the same time, it's fine for like 4-5 hours, but everything just crashes and burns for some reason after a while and i end up having to restart. it sucks that i have to constantly be on watch with as to how many apps i can have running at the same time... i built this computer specifically so that i wouldn't have to worry about that anymore and i can be a multitasker with no issues. it constantly ruins my work flow and my productivity suffers because of it.

i have a feeling it may be a ram problem but i'm not too sure. can anyone else give advice? i really just want this computer to work.
Despite your 32GB of RAM you have a lot of things running at same time. Do you have enough free space on system drive ? How large is your virtual memory (pagefile.sys ) and Adobe scratch files when under all that load ? It's possible that it can't expand enough.

Aaayron

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
Despite your 32GB of RAM you have a lot of things running at same time. Do you have enough free space on system drive ? How large is your virtual memory (pagefile.sys ) and Adobe scratch files when under all that load ? It's possible that it can't expand enough.
hi Mike. i have more than half of both my drives still free with space. along with that i constantly check task manager ram consumption tab and see that i'm barely using 40-50% of my ram when under that much load. that's as heavy as it gets with me, so i figured 32gb should be no problem. i've also already adjusted adobe scratch files from the beginning since i've had my fair share of crashes because of it (on my old laptop. i've had zero issues bcs of it since).

i'm not familiar with virtual memory or that pagefile.sys you mentioned, would like to know more about that and how it relates to my problem thank you.

Here are some links about virtual memory, explains better than I can
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-virtual-memory-size-windows-10

Solution