[SOLVED] Computer keeps crashing while playing games. Changed GPU twice

Sep 7, 2020
I'm at my wits' end with this problem. And I hope you can help. My girlfriend's computer keeps crashing while playing games. Sometimes it'll take only minutes to crash and other times hours. The error always has something to do with UnityPlayer.dll, like an inability to create a buffer. I've replaced/upgraded her graphics card twice to no avail. And yes, we've done all the basics, like upgraded drivers. I can provide a dxdiag if that'd be helpful.

Here's the basics, but again I can provide more if needed:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Display Memory: 14208 MB
Dedicated Memory: 6052 MB
Shared Memory: 8156 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Solution
MB:
Manufacturer: ASRock
Product: A320M-HDV

Storage:
Total Space: 1899.1 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: SeaGate BarraCuda ST2000DM006-2DM164

PSU:
EVGA 100-w1-0600 (600W)

RAM: (Hard to tell, the fan for the processor is covering the memory up, and I don't want to pull it out just to check. But what I can see it's a Patriot that ends in PSD416G2400KH

--
Any game, any client. And yes, I know Unitydll is Unity. But that's indicative of Unity's ubiquity. Also we disabled Steam Overlay for her Steam games.

When the game crashes next I'll get the error. She didn't save the log file separately, so it gets wiped each time.
We updated drivers via all the different paths. Windows update, from manufacturer, and manual. And yes, we did...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Please post other system spec (make and models):
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G
GPU: GTX 1060 6G
MB: ???
RAM: What model specifically???
Storage: ???
PSU: ???

Is this on any game? and any game client? Unitydll is unity specific.
What error specifically do you encounter?
How did you update drivers? And did this include all drivers?
Is your windows fully up to date?
Have you reinstalled the games themselves?

Sep 7, 2020
MB:

Storage:

PSU:
EVGA 100-w1-0600 (600W)

RAM: (Hard to tell, the fan for the processor is covering the memory up, and I don't want to pull it out just to check. But what I can see it's a Patriot that ends in PSD416G2400KH

--
Any game, any client. And yes, I know Unitydll is Unity. But that's indicative of Unity's ubiquity. Also we disabled Steam Overlay for her Steam games.

When the game crashes next I'll get the error. She didn't save the log file separately, so it gets wiped each time.
We updated drivers via all the different paths. Windows update, from manufacturer, and manual. And yes, we did all drivers, not just for the card.
Full up to date Windows.
Reinstall games? You bet, but that seems to have zero effect.

Sep 7, 2020
The error is slightly different this time, but the code at the end she says is the same.

D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (1920 x 1080 fmt 19 aa 1), error 0x887a0005

And we got these errors with previous graphics card. It was a Radeon RX 560 4GB.

As to the power, I thought that too, which is why I put in the 600W PSU I list here.

Sep 7, 2020
The PSU you have listed is a poor quality one. But what exactly happens with the crash? Does it just crash to desktop?
What about if you run any GPU stress test?
I asked her to clarify what crashing means and she says the game freezes. She can still hear the game but the game itself freezes.

I had her run GPU-Z stress test and it didn't come back with any issues. I can have her run it again and I can post a specific log report. Is there something in particular I should look for?

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
I asked her to clarify what crashing means and she says the game freezes. She can still hear the game but the game itself freezes.

I had her run GPU-Z stress test and it didn't come back with any issues. I can have her run it again and I can post a specific log report. Is there something in particular I should look for?
The game freezing is generally something to do with the GPU I believe. When I played games on integrated graphics(Minecraft in particular), occasionally the game would freeze, but I would still be able to type in chat, even though I couldn't see the chat box and hear sounds. I assumed this was just the GPU getting caught behind on frames, but seems very unlikely now.

Sep 7, 2020
The game freezing is generally something to do with the GPU I believe. When I played games on integrated graphics(Minecraft in particular), occasionally the game would freeze, but I would still be able to type in chat, even though I couldn't see the chat box and hear sounds. I assumed this was just the GPU getting caught behind on frames, but seems very unlikely now.
I thought so too, it's why I replaced it with the NVIDA, but she's still getting the freezing and the errors.

This is why I am at my wits' end. I am thinking maybe motherboard. But I dunno.

Tiago Arlan

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
MB:

Storage:

PSU:
EVGA 100-w1-0600 (600W)

--

We updated drivers via all the different paths. Windows update, from manufacturer, and manual. And yes, we did all drivers, not just for the card.
Full up to date Windows.
Reinstall games? You bet, but that seems to have zero effect.

You can use CPU-Z to identify PC Parts without removing them.

Try to downgrade your GPU Driver,there are GPU Driver updates that causes BSOD/randomly shuts down the PC..

Solution