Question Computer keeps crashing

May 22, 2020
I have a custom built computer that I built in 2018 with these specs for use gaming:
Ryzen 5 1400 using stock cooler
Asrock A320M PRO4
G.skill aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400
MSI Aero GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Xion XON 310 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA BR 600 W 80+ Bronze power supply
Ocz trion 150 240GB 2.5" ssd
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM IHD
Windows 10

The problem is that it keeps on crashing. Usually after a long period of gaming, but sometimes just watching youtube or doing other things, it crashes. It either black screens, having some audio errors, crashes, restarts itself, crashes again, then reboots, or it just crashes, the fans spin at the fastest speed, and it will stay on a black screen until you restart it. I have no idea why this happens, but it seems that the more often it happens, the more frequently it happens. Often I would have no problems with it for several days, but then it would crash, and the next day would have multiple crashes. I am updated on all the drivers that I know of, as I have been in the past, but this keeps happening. I'd even re-install windows, and it would still crash. If there is anything that I could do to remedy this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
make quick mem check
Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools/ memorytest/restart and check now...will take 20 ~min

if it`s fine we can check error logs

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
type event viewer in windows search box...under windows logs, system.... you can sort either by clicking time&date and then going trough till you matching time just before last crash happened or sort by clicking on level and browse all critical + comparing with time of crashes.... i think you will get idea witch ones i need.... copy details and general from those logs here in chat

May 22, 2020
This is from the last time it crashed:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

May 22, 2020
type event viewer in windows search box...under windows logs, system.... you can sort either by clicking time&date and then going trough till you matching time just before last crash happened or sort by clicking on level and browse all critical + comparing with time of crashes.... i think you will get idea witch ones i need.... copy details and general from those logs here in chat
Oh and I forgot to post this too:

BugcheckCode0

BugcheckParameter10x0

BugcheckParameter20x0

BugcheckParameter30x0

BugcheckParameter40x0

SleepInProgress0

PowerButtonTimestamp0

BootAppStatus0

Checkpoint41

ConnectedStandbyInProgressfalse

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn1

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId0

BugcheckInfoFromEFIfalse

CheckpointStatus0

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
more likely hardware issue than software issue...
this log does not tells much as this one is just for unexpected system shutdown..

have anyone bang into your case lately maybe, some loose connection somewhere, , have you rechecked all connections in case ?

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options choose what power buttons do , is your one on shutdown?

uncheck fast start up..while you there.it`s just better option in general

Last edited:

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
have you shut down option, leave shut down. its not that it will fix issue , its just suggestion as better option.

i`ll need some more about pc:
did you recheck all connections inside tower, re plug them
never asked you, is it from day 1, since you put it together or just started sometime...
ever tried boost your pc in bios or with afterburner...
if you have boost enabled to run @ 3.4 set to base @3.2 ghz
have you checked hdd for errors

May 22, 2020
have you shut down option, leave shut down. its not that it will fix issue , its just suggestion as better option.

i`ll need some more about pc:
did you recheck all connections inside tower, re plug them
never asked you, is it from day 1, since you put it together or just started sometime...
ever tried boost your pc in bios or with afterburner...
if you have boost enabled to run @ 3.4 set to base @3.2 ghz
have you checked hdd for errors
I have not yet made sure that all the cables are plugged in properly because my case is a nightmare to work in. I'm thinking of investing in a case with better cable management, like the Fractal Design Focus G Mini, so then it would be easier. I'm thinking of taking everything out of the case and testing it on top of my motherboard box just to remove all possibilities of cables being plugged in wrong or something bad happening because of this cheap case. I think that this computer has been crashing every once and a while since I built it, but I'm not quite sure. It eventually got annoying enough that I am writing about this now, though. I have never tried to overclock or boost anything in my pc. I error checked using the windows drive error checking in C:\properties\tools\error checking and it said I have no errors. Same thing with my other drive, no errors.

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
good idea, as "my case is a nightmare to work in" can cause EMI, shorts , loose connections and overheating, all of that leads to unexpected system shutdowns. looks like you know what to do, gl and keep us updated with progress.

May 22, 2020
Ok, I just took everything out of my case and now have the motherboard and components hooked up on my motherboard box. Everything was working fine for a bit, but then the screen froze, turned black, and then the powersupply and cpu fans kept on spinning. I think that didn't fix it :(. I think I might have a faulty piece of hardware. What would you suggest next?

May 22, 2020
good idea, as "my case is a nightmare to work in" can cause EMI, shorts , loose connections and overheating, all of that leads to unexpected system shutdowns. looks like you know what to do, gl and keep us updated with progress.
Also I am currently running a extended windows memory diagnostics test right now

May 22, 2020
After a few days nothing has changed, although I have been able to play some minecraft for about 15-30 minutes at a time before it crashes.

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
so we excluded driver and os fault, as you have everything reinstalled during these time,
dont think there is point trying older driver.
and i believe all mb drivers updated from asrock...

overheating, kind off, since you took out of case with no changes whatsoever , as well as loose connections.
you still might try something like, HWinfo and simple look at cpu ang gpu temps during use, maybe erratic.

hdd s fine

hardware seems new, and seems no visual damage, since you have been handling components plenty and know your stuff, no brown patches from electric heat , funny looking capacitors,

ram tested 2x...

no faulty hardware attached since you bread boarded ...

no oc

have to say, even from factory can come faulty hardware, 2 things left, under powering psu, check voltage readings in bios, see if any is far enough off from what should be, or get HWinfo .

sometimes keeping pc in wrong place can do this to hardware, beside window or radiator, temp and moist changes...

hope you dont have one extension lead and all components plugged into it .. ?

...and if there is some burnt small resistor on mb , or capacitor what struggles to hold charge, electric discharge between tiny mb lanes... too hard to spot too hard to troubleshoot...

Last edited:
May 22, 2020
so we excluded driver and os fault, as you have everything reinstalled during these time,
dont think there is point trying older driver.
and i believe all mb drivers updated from asrock...

overheating, kind off, since you took out of case with no changes whatsoever , as well as loose connections.
you still might try something like, HWinfo and simple look at cpu ang gpu temps during use, maybe erratic.

hdd s fine

hardware seems new, and seems no visual damage, since you have been handling components plenty and know your stuff, no brown patches from electric heat , funny looking capacitors,

ram tested 2x...

no faulty hardware attached since you bread boarded ...

no oc

have to say, even from factory can come faulty hardware, 2 things left, under powering psu, check voltage readings in bios, see if any is far enough off from what should be, or get HWinfo .

sometimes keeping pc in wrong place can do this to hardware, beside window or radiator, temp and moist changes...

hope you dont have one extension lead and all components plugged into it .. ?

...and if there is some burnt small resistor on mb , or capacitor what struggles to hold charge, electric discharge between tiny mb lanes... too hard to spot too hard to troubleshoot...
Ok, it has been a few weeks and I still have the same problems. I have gotten in contact with someone from the computer science department of my local university and described my problems, they suggested to get a new power supply. I got one, a Corsair cx550m, but it didn't fix it. I suppose there was some good that came out of the $80 purchase as now I have a semi modular power supply, allowing me to do better cable management in the future. What we are thinking next is of getting a new motherboard to see if that is the problem. Right now there aren't many good budget ones that are in stock right now. While I wait for them to be back in stock do you have any suggestions for what to try? I also have a few more details of crashes I've had: Image freezes for about 10 seconds and the audio cuts out, then the screen goes black and it crashes.