[SOLVED] Computer keeps randomly shutting down as well as semi-shutting down

Vicious Guinea Pig

Honorable
Apr 28, 2016
Hi, I've built this gaming PC back in 2014-15 and it's had its issues as the years went on and I have replaced many of the parts (now waiting on a new PSU) but never anything like this. So, starting last week, my computer randomly started shutting off without any BSOD and would then reset. Back then, I ran Hardware Monitor and saw my CPU temps were 90-100 without much CPU usage and quickly replaced the fan and thermal paste with some spares I had and it appeared to have solved the problem and went back to some minimal casual style gaming. Then, this weekend, I played some heavier games and then my computer shut down again and throughout the course of this week, it has crashed multiple times as if I hit my reset button and is now semi-shutting down.

When the computer begins to crash, everything on the computer begins to slow, then stutters, then the audio freezes along with the screen before going black, then the computer resets. The semi-shutdown is similar but the computer's lights and fans remain on but the screen is black and audio freezes then dies out. I'm about to find out tomorrow if this is a PSU issue since I'm buying a new one due to my worries with the crashing. I've ran stress tests, memory tests, and have looked at temperatures and voltage and everything seems normal and it is leaving me baffled outside of the memory tests which crash before finish (even on spare, working sets of RAM).

I've been able to reproduce crashes but it's mostly from gaming. But I've been able to reproduce a crash via streaming a video, booting up a game, and uploading a file to my drive at the same time (I did this to see my computer's limit and to see if it would crash, and it did). Does anyone have any insights as to what may be the problem outside of the PSU? Most crashes now seem to be semi-shutdowns.
  • CPU: Intel i5-4690K
  • Cooler: Stock Intel
  • GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G Graphics Card
  • Motherboard: Z87-GD65
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
  • PSU: EVGA 500w bronze
EDIT: Food for thought, would a damaged CPU produce the same results as this?

Last edited:

Vicious Guinea Pig

Honorable
Apr 28, 2016
leaving me baffled outside of the memory tests which crash before finish (even on spare, working sets of RAM).
If your memory test crashes the PC well!

What cooler are you using now? and what is the temp stress testing the CPU?

I've temp stressed the computer multiple times and wasn't able to replicate a crash with my max temps reaching 70-80. and yes it did crash during the memory test 2/3 of test 4 like clockwork with memtest86. I'm using a spare stock intel cooler since I noticed my last one was damaged (another stock intel fan).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I've temp stressed the computer multiple times and wasn't able to replicate a crash with my max temps reaching 70-80. and yes it did crash during the memory test 2/3 of test 4 like clockwork with memtest86. I'm using a spare stock intel cooler since I noticed my last one was damaged (another stock intel fan).
Increase your memory voltage to 1.55 and see if that helps.

Vicious Guinea Pig

Honorable
Apr 28, 2016
Replaced my GPU to my old MSI GTX 660 along with new drivers. In some lighter gaming, the computer stopped crashing but when going to the memory test on memtest86, my computer was able to go from 66% on the 8-bit inversion test to 74% before a crash. Would this a motherboard issue?