Question Computer keeps rebooting inexplicably

Apr 12, 2019
Hello, I'm putting this under power supply because it seems like it's somehow involved but I have no idea what the problem actually is.
About a year ago my computer started suddenly rebooting (turning off and on) at variable frequency (sometimes once an hour, sometimes 10 times in a row). I replaced the MoBo, the HDD and the power cord during that period of time but the issue kept occurring. Different technicians tested the components and found no issue with them, but I discovered that this resetting thing happened only in my house so it most likely involved my electrical system, so I recently bought an UPS but even after letting it charge to its fullest and connecting the power supply to it the pc keeps rebooting. UPS is 800 vA and power supply is 630W, several technicians told me it should work just fine as a stabilizer.
I'm pretty desperate. Does somebody have any idea about what could this be about?
Here's my PC specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i3 @ 3.70GHz
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB
Motherboard
ASRock H110M-HDV R3.0 (CPUSocket)
%1 Chipset
Graphics
2269WM (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 530 (ASRock)
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM010-2EP102 (SATA ) 33 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Dispositivo High Definition Audio

Ralston18

Titan
What PSU is installed in your computer: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

With all of the work that has been done, I would expect that the inside case is clean (free of dust, hair, dead bugs, paper scraps, etc.) and that all connections are fully and firmly in place. However, I would double check them all to be sure.

Use Event Viewer and Reliability History/Manager to look for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the reboots.

May be one thing or perhaps a series or combination of things that precede the reboots. A pattern of some sort....

Apr 12, 2019
What PSU is installed in your computer: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

With all of the work that has been done, I would expect that the inside case is clean (free of dust, hair, dead bugs, paper scraps, etc.) and that all connections are fully and firmly in place. However, I would double check them all to be sure.

Use Event Viewer and Reliability History/Manager to look for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the reboots.

May be one thing or perhaps a series or combination of things that precede the reboots. A pattern of some sort....
PSU is Thermaltake Berlin 630W, Model TR2-630AHNCB it's about 3 years old. Inside case is clean, I assembled the pc myself following some guidance online but I had the wire connections checked so it should be fine.

As you pointed out, some events are shuffled but there's some sort of a pattern of events in the log before the rebooting:

log.jpg
log-1.png

But I have no idea what this could mean. :confused_old:

Hello there,

This seems to be a Power supply though. Your PSU model, Berlin 630W, isn't the very best in terms of quality/efficiency. This is a basic 80 Plus low tier category unit, if I'm not mistaken. I would surely replace this unit by some other brand/model number.

A reboot can be a sign of a failing Power supply unit. Are you using the motherboard's integrated/on board graphics to boot your system ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Banned by Net
Apr 12, 2019
Hello there,

This seems to be a Power supply though. Your PSU model, Berlin 630W, isn't the very best in terms of quality/efficiency. This is a basic 80 Plus low tier category unit, if I'm not mistaken. I would surely replace this unit by some other brand/model number.

A reboot can be a sign of a failing Power supply unit. Are you using the motherboard's integrated/on board graphics to boot your system ?
Hi, yes I'm using the motherboard's integrated graphics. About the PSU, you're right about it being kinda cheap but the thing is this reboot problem doesn't occur anywhere but my house (I've tried it in several rooms too). This led the people I asked for help to think that it must buy a power system problem, and in fact I'd noticed that sometimes with the sudden reboots lights in my room went off for half a second, but the TV remained on, and I didn't even notice it with the lights most of the times. So like I said I bought a UPS but it still happens.
So the thing is, if it's the PSU, why doesn't it happen elsewhere, and if it's my building's power system, why didn't it happen as soon as I built the PC and why the UPS didn't fix it?

Ralston18

Titan
If there are building power problems then 1) perhaps they began or got worse after the PC was built, and 2) If the UPS is not getting proper power as a result then it is not going to work as intended.

Could not open the "SPOILER" link: nothing happened - empty "box".

Apr 12, 2019
If there are building power problems then 1) perhaps they began or got worse after the PC was built, and 2) If the UPS is not getting proper power as a result then it is not going to work as intended.

Could not open the "SPOILER" link: nothing happened - empty "box".
Oh sorry. It was just to show that there is some sort of a pattern of events in the event log after the reboots. I hope it's ok now.
Log_1_90.png

You make a good point regarding the power problems, so what would you suggest me to do now? If that's the case I don't think replacing the PSU would fix it, right? Should I look more into it, and how?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You aren't going to like my answer.

Check the plugs in the back of the UPS. Most have 2 different outlets, one is marked as attached to battery, the other is pass through. The first will work on the battery backup in event of failure, the second just filters the ac power like a surge protector, but if the pc is plugged into the second, it gets no battery, so any loss of supply below 100v shuts the pc down.

That's a group regulated power supply, should have no issues working on any UPS.

Second, find a buddy who does household electrical, get him to check the main breaker panel, every breaker/neutral/ground connection is tight and make doubly sure the main inputs, especially the neutral are tight. Leading cause of abrupt temporary power loss happens when something large like an airconditioner turns on and the neutral is loose.

Unless you know exactly what you are doing, I highly recommend you do not try it by yourself. Messing around with unregulated/metered mains power is a quick way to get dead.

Ralston18

Titan
In full agreement with @Karadjgne

And what is Nessuna and how does it relate to your system?

Appears to be some AV perhaps per some links found via a quick google - most links requiring translation.

The logged informational events being related to system restarts and "Nessuna" being part of start up applications.

Apr 12, 2019
Thanks a lot to both for taking time to look into this.

You aren't going to like my answer.

Check the plugs in the back of the UPS. Most have 2 different outlets, one is marked as attached to battery, the other is pass through. The first will work on the battery backup in event of failure, the second just filters the ac power like a surge protector, but if the pc is plugged into the second, it gets no battery, so any loss of supply below 100v shuts the pc down.

That's a group regulated power supply, should have no issues working on any UPS.

Second, find a buddy who does household electrical, get him to check the main breaker panel, every breaker/neutral/ground connection is tight and make doubly sure the main inputs, especially the neutral are tight. Leading cause of abrupt temporary power loss happens when something large like an airconditioner turns on and the neutral is loose.

Unless you know exactly what you are doing, I highly recommend you do not try it by yourself. Messing around with unregulated/metered mains power is a quick way to get dead.

You're right, there's two plugs, but they seem identical as they have both "SS-180 10A250V~" written on them. By the way I tried to plug the PC's PSU to both and it still reboots. Should it try to replace the fuse as the UPS came with a spare one?

I'll ask someone to check those connections in the main panel although I'm not sure about it rebooting whenever something turns on because sometimes it doesn't reboot for a few hours during the day when everyone's awake and other times it reboots like 20-30 times almost in a row, and I guess it would be very unlikely for 30 large appliances to be turned on one after another like that. This last thing actually happened a few minutes ago as I was trying to write this between several reboots, and I still am. Eventually I turned off the UPS and thus the PC and tried to turn it on again after a while. It seems like if I do that the PC lasts a bit longer before the next reboot. I really don't know what to think.

In full agreement with @Karadjgne

And what is Nessuna and how does it relate to your system?

Appears to be some AV perhaps per some links found via a quick google - most links requiring translation.

The logged informational events being related to system restarts and "Nessuna" being part of start up applications.

I'm glad you could see the pictures, I could as well when I posted them but now I see empty boxes again... Anyway, Nessuna means none, it's written under the entry "category", third column is under "source" or "origin" and fourth is "ID event". The first event's decription is pretty straightforward as it reads "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" but then event 98 reads "Volume \\?\Volume{54a697e5-0000-0000-0000-100000000000} (\Device\HarddiskVolume1) è integro. Non è necessario eseguire alcuna operazione" (Volume \\?... is intact. No further operation is needed) and event 6 is "Caricamento del filtro del file system 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ‎2037‎-‎02‎-‎23T08:11:04.000000000Z) e registrazione con Gestione filtri riusciti" (something like "file system 'nps...' 's filter loading and registration with filter manager were successfull") and I don't know if and how these are symptoms of something going wrong.

Ralston18

Titan
Copy and paste the error messages into an online translator. Some translations may be helpful especially if done by you in the context of your own system.

Still I am leaning towards a PSU problem as has already been mentioned.

You can test the PSU to a certain extent if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. Or have a family member or friend who could help.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

A problematic or otherwise failing PSU can create any number of varying problems. Inconsistent and seemingly random....