Computer keeps reseting! I just did a hardware and OS upgrade, need help troubleshooting please!

rgemr

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Hi, yesterday I upgraded my ram, graphics card, and added an SSD on which I installed Windows 8.1 64bit. Initially everything seemed to work, but before long my PC would suddenly turn completely off, and then boot back up again.

This keeps happening at completely random times. It never freezes or hangs or shows an error message either before or after the reset occurs, its always as though nothing has happened.

All I had done beforehand was access some games from my old hard disk drive, and install Office 2007.
All I've done since is install Norton360, download new motherboard drives from Gigabite.com, and browse the control panel and the internet for solutions.

Here are my current specs (let me know if I've left anything out):
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3P
CPU: Intel Core i5 750@2.67GHz (4CPUs), ~2.8GHz
RAM: 8188MB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2048MB GDDRS
PSU: 550w
OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) - running on new 250GB SSD

I'm sure all the connections are ok. My main problem is that I've changed so many things recently I'm not sure what to blame.

Any advice would be really great, thanks a million in advance!

Solution
You can also try disabling all the onboard hardware you don't need. For example, onboard VGA. Also try disabling other stuff, like onboard LAN, serial and parallel ports. And see what happens.

rgemr

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

I actually did remove every option except the SSD for where the Bios could boot from. It's the 1st and only thing on that list. Thanks though.

rgemr

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Safe Mode might be a good way to work while I troubleshoot, I'll try that thanks. After I got windows running I got the graphics card drivers. When the constant rebooting started I downloaded the motherboard drivers in case those were messing up - no improvement. I installed Norton after the problem had already begun - had the crazy notion that it was a virus causing the rebooting. Norton can't be the problem. Thank you though

rgemr

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

That couldn't hurt. I need to figure this out before Sunday. I'll try it if nothing else works.

ImPrettyIrish

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

Although bad RAM would most likely cause BSoD, there is a chance that you got some bad RAM. If re-installing Windows doesn't help, it might be the RAM.

rgemr

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Any diagnostic techniques for RAM you know of? Otherwise I could swap the old ones back in I suppose

rgemr

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Thanks, I'm making a list of tasks :)

ImPrettyIrish

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013

You could take one stick of RAM out and test it. If it still doesn't work, try taking that one out and putting the other one in.