Computer lagging after changing thermal paste on my cpu yesterday

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
so basically i changed the thermal paste on my cpu yesterday, i took the cooler off and replaced the paste as i always do and i had a slight malfunction where i scratched the backside of my graphics card slightly which i don't think has caused this lagg but im not sure. Anyway i changed it all cleaned out the dust etc then i went out and i switch my computer today and im getting my headphones failing in discord and lagg every now and again when trying to open simple games like csgo and league of legends like in the menus its lagging it very odd it just jumps every now and again its very odd im really not sure whats causing it ive checked my temps and my fps and the temps are fine but the fps does drop suddenly sometimes and my headphones seem to be cutting out randomly does anyone have an idea what could be causing this.

Solution
Ah, right; the other option is putting too much, making the paste not really conduct. They have an optimal thinness so they conduct better and all that. It's its own little world.

Glad to read your PC is back to normal though.

Cheers!
Some paste (metal based ones) are conductive, so if you had some paste gone rouge (either outside the CPU or onto the MoBo or GPU, etc) you might have a problem there.

The other is to wait for the curation period to end (can be up to a month), but it would never be the cause of stuttering if you didn't see that happening before.

Other options, maybe a bit far-fetched, would be around fan positioning, disconnecting a fan, and that sort of thing.

Cheers!

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016

I just reseated my cooler and removed the paste i think i put too much on and some leaked onto the actual cpu which i have now cleaned off and i put less paste on and seated it, now my comp seems to be fine again lol so i guess some paste just leaked like you said thank you for your suggestion

Ah, right; the other option is putting too much, making the paste not really conduct. They have an optimal thinness so they conduct better and all that. It's its own little world.

Glad to read your PC is back to normal though.

Cheers!

Solution