Question Computer lights and fans go on for 1 second when i press the power button.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2019
The night before i experienced this problem, I shut down my computer normally and did not force it in any way. The next morning i switched it on and it had no display. I reseated the RAM and the CMOS but then as soon as i pressed the power button, the compenents went on for almost a second before going off and it did this everytime i pressed the power button, I switched out the PSU and the power cable, only to be sitting with the same problem. I have completely run out of options on what to do, the components are only 3 months old.

Mar 11, 2019
I will try and go this weekend and see what they tell me. I just don't want to pay extra fees for service when I can just go buy a new psu. The VS450 is probably my best bet.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
In most instances, I would suggest replacing that Raidmax regardless - but when your budget is that limited, a second opinion, from someone who can get 'hands on' to test/verify wouldn't be a bad thing.

While I'm confident the culprit is the PSU - remember, we can only go based on what you describe and have no way to test/verify ourselves.
It doesn't sound like you have a budget to replace the motherboard AND the PSU... So in the event you replace the PSU and it doesn't fix it, you're stuck. Similarly, replace the MB and the problem is the PSU, you're stuck.

If it were me, working with the issue you've described, the PSU is the natural place to look - but there's still a slight possibility the fault is elsewhere.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
https://m.takealot.com/#!product?id=6829

I know its Raidmax, but the question is, will it do the job?

Another option: https://m.takealot.com/#!product?id=5640425

No products show up for me? But, given it's Raidmax (and cheap, I assume?), then in all likelihood, no. At least, no better than your existing model does.

I have only tried removing the 6 pin connector of the gpu and it made no difference

You have a GTX 1050 that needs a 6 pin? Which model do you have specifically? I know there were only a handful of 1050's that needed the 6pin (about 1-2 per manufacturer, IIRC).

Mar 11, 2019
O5kzRiah.jpg

Mar 11, 2019
I opened the side panel, removed all of the cables, including the ram and gpu, reseated all the cables, booted without gpu, was successful, booted with gpu and it was successful, now its running properly. I honestly don't know what fixed it. There was a little bit of dust when i removed the power switch cable, dont know if that caused it.

Status
Not open for further replies.