Computer locking up - Could it be the CPU?

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Recently picked up a Ryzen 2600x and I'm very pleased with it. However I've been experiencing significant frame drops in games after a half hour or so of playing, and then complete locking up until I have to push the reset buttion. I understand it could be a symptom of CPU issues.

It started happening recently, I've reinstalled windows to rule that out. I decided to replace the noisy stock cooler with a Deepcool Gammaaxx, but it was pretty difficult to install because of its size, and the cooler separated from the thermal paste a few times while trying to screw it in. The only reason I didn't take it off and re-do it is because I would just do the same thing again because it's so tricky.

I didn't screw it in all the way, just as tight as i could using a screwdriver with the tips of my fingers. Seemed very sturdy. No TIM leakout. (I used the X method of TIM application)

My temps are okay, ~60c under load, 30 degree idle. So I assumed the TIM application has been fine. It was Arctic Silver.

What are the chances that it could be causing lockups even though the temps are alright? I have been having 10c spikes, but I hear that's normal for Ryzen.

Solution
Well...at least those are good.
...and as far as temp spikes....I'd be surprised if you had a temp spike that took you from 60C all the way up to a complete lockup....which I would think would be 90+.
....but now I'm at a loss for the moment.
"What are the chances that it could be causing lockups even though the temps are alright?"

I don't think the temps are your issue.

I might look at the PSU voltages becuase as you said...."after a half hour or so".

Many times when a PC locks up after some time it's either temps or voltages.....and being you have seemed to eliminate the temps.....I'd look at the voltages.

Power supplies put out more when they are cool. As they heat up they put out less. This may be your issue.

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013

Well yeah, I figured temps aren't an issue but I didn't know if anybody had experienced the temp spikes and if that had anything to do with it.

I'm on an MSI board and all the voltages are auto at stock - not really sure what they should be and other than the casual overclock I'm really not too knowledgeable on the subject. The power supply is quite new so I'm reluctant to say it's that, and the overall power draw of my system is less than 600w. I used the same PSU briefly in a system with an AMD FX 8370 which has a significantly higher TDP and a higher wattage GPU, and it worked fine.

I will change my voltages if I need to, I'll see if theres a default setting in the BIOS. Thanks for the help.

Well....the BIOS will sometimes show you the PSU voltages.

Also HWInfo and HWMonitor will as well.

....but you may not get all 5 voltages as sometimes the software only shows 3 or 4.

Anyway, the five voltages are +12 +5 +3.3 -5 and -12.

The positive voltages should be within 5% of nominal and the negative voltages should be within 10% of nominal.

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013

12v - 12.096v

5v - 5.120v

3.3v - 3.312v

It doesn't show any -voltages.

Well...at least those are good.
...and as far as temp spikes....I'd be surprised if you had a temp spike that took you from 60C all the way up to a complete lockup....which I would think would be 90+.
....but now I'm at a loss for the moment.

Solution