Question Computer loses Ethernet connection some time after being powered on (among other issues)

jmpt14

Commendable
Oct 14, 2021
So I've been given an old work PC (an HP 290 G1 Microtower), and I've been using it as a makeshift NAS. However, recently it's been giving me trouble.
Earlier this week I was transferring files over it, when suddenly it stopped being connected to the network. Now, when I say it wasn't connected, I mean the Ethernet port was dead. Windows told me that "no network cards were detected, check drivers" (for reference, the Ethernet port is on the motherboard). I did everything I could; checked if the cable or the router were busted (they were fine), installing HP's network drivers from their site, reinstalling Windows all together - no luck.
I gave up and tried again the next day. Lo and behold, it was connected... for like 5 minutes, and then the problem resurfaced. I left it completely unplugged yesterday, and today it maintained a connection for almost 30 minutes.

What can I do to fix this?

Other notes:
- Yesterday, it gave me CMOS checksum problems. I put in a new CMOS and updated the BIOS just in case. No more CMOS/BIOS complaints, network problems persist.
- Just this afternoon, one of the USB ports died on me, and I only know this because it was the port where my keyboard was plugged in, ergo; the PC wouldn't detect a keyboard and warn me. Keyboard works, the other ports work, but given that both the USB port and the Ethernet port are bugging out, I fear the I/O might die out completely.

>inb4 get a new motherboard/power supply
Can't, they're specific to this chassis+mobo combination. Business PCs, am I right?
>inb4 get a network card
The only avaliable PCIe slot is currently occupied by a graphics card. Unless the inbuilt Ethernet port dies for good, I'd like to keep it.