Computer loses internet connection for 1-2 seconds while router seems ok

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
Whenever it feels like, my computer loses it's connection to internet (browsers not opening pages, raidcall/skype dropping for the duration, online gaming dc from server etc.). I've tried with Thomson 585v8 & Linksys WAG200G and both show the same thing : while all leds work as intended I keep losing the connection for a really small time window (2-3 seconds) and it can happen more than once in a day, almost every day. I've contacted my ISP and they can't find if there's a problem with the line or so, and I don't think it's from my computer (as they say to me sometimes). Could it be my computer, the ethernet cable, the telephone cable, or something else? I am really frustrated and confused about this and it's extremely annoying cause I can't do anything without the risk of internet dropping.If you want more info ask and I will post them.

Solution
it could be the way eset is set ,did you have a firewall on your router and if the answer is yes i would disable the eset firewall settings for test .

EdgeSync

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
do a continuous ping to a website e.g.

ping www.google.ie -t

and see if it's dropping packets. if it is, i'd say it's your network card. driver updates may help, but a scan for the malware/viruses may also help :)

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013

I suppose you didn't read any of the conversation.
Scout_03 prompted me to reinstall the driver but it's not that.Did scan a few times with both MBAM and Eset Smart Security to no avail. Unfortunately it doesn't drop packets which would make my life easier.

I will post again to confirm if it was RaidCall doing the thing in 2-3 days.

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
I got the same issue again after uninstalling raidcall but only once which made me check if there's something else that raidcall worsens. So I checked my ports through firebind.com for LoL particuarly and it seems that ESET Smart Security Firewall (when I disabled it, test passed) is blocking UDP port 5355 (Info here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_Multicast_Name_Resolution). I am trying to uninstall the eset and see what happens.

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
I tried but for some reason it didn't work. That's why I uninstalled it. Everything is running smooth but I will probably need to install another antivirus...maybe Microsoft essentials maybe avast.

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013
Ok so I installed avast. Hope I don't have any problem with that one. Is there something I need to know about it in regards to gaming? Also what do you mean expert settings?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
on the avast when it will be install click the icon in the toolbar and open the user interface then security anti virus you wiil agent file and the following click on it you wiil see parameters check the box all containers type and in the p2p check the utorrent box and press ok also the chat and scripts ,this is the expert settings . you could also check the sofware updater below the anti virus box it is usefull .

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013

You mean at
Web Shield Settings -> All packers
P2P Shield Settings -> click utorrent
Script Shield Settings -> what here?

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013

I am entirely confused as to what you are saying.I added the utorrent on p2p.At scripts I already have all apps ticked.

stickas

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2013

Oh ok had that already.Thanks for all the help from start.Everything is going smooth since I uninstalled eset and avast doesn't mess with my connection so all good.