Question Computer Loses Power at Specific Points in Certain Games

Sep 8, 2019
My rig cuts power under very specific, repeatable conditions while gaming. The power cuts as if the plug was pulled and then the machine restarts after a second or two. I built this thing in 2014 and I got my first instance of the problem on the second day of use. It has been present ever since.

The power cuts have only ever happened during gaming, but only in specific conditions. There are no logs in event viewer or otherwise that explain what is happening. Games that have this problem so far are: Vermintide, Vermintide 2, Darksiders 2, Battlefield 1, Anthem (RIP), Control, and The Forest. The conditions vary between these games - Vermintide does it 2 seconds to 10 minutes after loading a level. Vermintide 2 will do it when swapping between inventory tabs too many times. Darksiders 2 does it upon stepping into the first building without fail. I haven't identified a pattern for the others but it happens enough to make them unplayable.

I think I've eliminated the usual suspects, though it wouldn't make sense for it to be them anyway since I can do things like marathon Witcher 3 on max settings for 10 hours with no issue. Temps sit around 70C under load. Memory and power capacity are more than adequate. Near as I can tell without a multi-meter, voltages are fine. PSU and cables, RAM, OS, and GPU have been upgraded over the years without effect. I've played around with drivers more than I ever wanted to, taking care to use ones considered stable.

At this point I don't know where to look. I would slap in a new CPU if I had that kind of pocket change but the current one works for most purposes and I wouldn't want to spend unnecessarily. I haven't found any other stuff online regarding this particular issue and any insight is appreciated.

CPU: Intel i7-4790k
GPU: GTX 1080
PSU: 850w
RAM: 16GB

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What make and model PSU is it exactly? Power wattage is useless without quality :)
The voltage software is not a guaranteed, and presumably you watched them under heavy loads?
are you able to recreate the issue with furmark?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Do you have latest drivers (including MB/Chipset) installed?