Computer Malfuntioning: Task bar unresponsive and mouse not registering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tawhite

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hello,
I just started having these problems with my computer yesterday. But when trying to use my laptop the taskbar hasn't been working. You can move the mouse over it but the buttons will not highlight and clicking doesn't do anything. If you use Ctrl+Alt+Del and open up the task manager it temporarily fixes the problem. Also, some times the mouse doesnt work either. You can move the cursor around the computer won't register that you are clicking on something. You have to Tab through things and hit enter to click on anything. When trying to use a web browser (I have tried with Mozilla, Chrome, and IE) you can open new tabs but when you click on a tab to go back to it, it just closes the tab. This is a constant problem. Occasionally, even if you aren't clicking the icon or even anywhere near it, about 20 blank web browser pages will just start opening up and after a couple minutes the internet browser becomes unresponsive. My laptops hard drive also seems like it is in constant over drive like it is trying to load something even if you aren't doing anything.

I have ran the indepth virus scan with McAfee and also ran the scan with Ad-Aware and they found nothing. I also did a System Restore going back over a month. When I booted back up again, the same problems were occurring.

I am just trying to figure out if I have some sort of virus or if my laptop is just crapping out on me.

Hmm could be a few issues.

Try downloading and running malwarebytes anti malware.

Also are you sure your mouse isn't messed up? I recently had a similar problem, and 2 mice I had basically turned to garbage.

Try clicking on -ALL- the buttons on the mouse at the same time.

If none of those work - try using a new/different mouse.

tawhite

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
I ran the Malwarebytes program and it found and got rid of a few bugs. My computer started to calm down a little bit before I installed that program. I am still having the problem with the taskbar freezing and clicking on browser tabs causing the tab to close. It seems I can temporarily fix the issue when I Ctrl+Alt+Del. I am having the mouse issues whether I use a usb mouse or just the track pad on my laptop. In the program manager I see only one instance of Google Chrome open in the applications but in the Processes tab there are 8 instances of the Chrome.exe run.
Just now while writting this my mouse started spazzing out and it seemed as if all the buttons were being clicked randomly. Briefly two web pages opened and closed. I saw the text "Action Games" displayed on their tabs.
I don't know what is going on. I don't know if there is a way to save a list of the current processes that are running so I could post it on here to see if anyone recognizes a malicious program.

Any other suggestions. Oh and if this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry. This was my first post.

I'm guessing your mouse is dieing. I had the RAT 9 and is was almost doing the same thing as you mentioned. It kind of pissed me off that I lost such an expensive mouse.

What was happening with my RAT 9 was that I would click on a window, and if I tried to click on it again to drag it, it's like it would de-select the window and I wouldn't be able to click on it again until I alt+tab. It did this for every window and everything.

Basically a new mouse solved the problem. Do you have a spare to try out?

Edit: My RAT 9 seemed like it was trying to constantly "click" with one of the other buttons as if it was stuck....so sad it died.

tawhite

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Sadly I don't have another mouse to try right now. I just moved to a new location and all my belongings aren't here yet.

Shinshu

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I am also experiencing the exactly same problem. It's not the mouse's problem. I have also tried reinstalling windows and the problem still persist.

mateusbe

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

The same here...
It's only when booting and the ctrl+alt+del helps to get it back, but doing that every time is annoying...
That's very strange and it occured only a week ago... Could it be a hardware problem?

i also follow those topic :

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-desktop/why-cant-i-click-on-the-taskbar/de24ce05-f679-4e33-a178-7fb57d8c219c

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-desktop/taskbar-not-clickable-when-i-boot-up/c62fa55e-149a-486c-a0cf-3edd092597d7?page=1

Edit: I just tried the mouse thing and it seems to be it!
I started my computer with my mouse powered off (wireless mouse) and waited for the pc to be fully launched. Then I tried my touchpad and no problem, I can click everywhere and the task bar is fully operational.
Then I switched my mouse in powered on and BAM !! the taskbar doesn't respond anymore, and obliged to ctrl+al+del ^^'
So for me, it seems to be caused by my mouse (that learned to fly 3-4 days ago by itself :p )

Shinshu

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I tried unplugging the mouse and its as you say, it is back to normal but then it doesn't respond anymore right after I plug my mouse back in.
It's not just a matter of annoyance to me cos I can't play games on it :fou: , the problem evolved to inability to close folders and or click on programes...

The problem doesn't occur as much in safe mode but the problem was there after being in safe mode for longer than 5 mins. The problem occurs right of the bat on normal startups.
I did clean boot anyway, and nothing changed.

mateusbe

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Sorry, i'm late ^^'
I have bought a new mouse and I don't have the problem anymore :)
If you don't want to change your mouse, then you have to CTRL+Alt+Delete everytime you launch your computer to make it work when it's plugged in ;-)

So for me, problem solved !

Rehket

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I had the same problem and discovered that it was caused by my scroll wheel malfunctioning. You can test this by holding down or pressing the scroll wheel on a working mouse and getting the same results that people have been experiencing. I have dropped my mouse a few times and the scroll wheel has been a little wonky since.

Hope this helps.
-Adam

vijaya20

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

2toejohnny

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
i know it's an old thread, but i just wanted to report the same issue.
the mouse seems to be the problem with me too, though I don't have another one to test it out with. I'm having the same issue on startup, nothing really with the tabs in browsers and such, but CTRL ALT DELTE, then just hitting cancel will fix it for awhile.. It seems like until something runs fullscreen on my PC.

I'm currently working on a PC for a friend, had to do a fresh install/recovery of windows 7 for him, and using my mouse... I have the _very_ same issue starting up also on his computer. Now that I know it's just not on my local machine, It's lead me to believe it must be the mouse. I'll update if i ever can find this thread again, I just wanted to put my experience down to hopefully help someone out, provide someone with enough information to help their problems. For awhile I was really worried there was something funked with my installation, but seeing as from the get-go this other computer is doing it, I'm assuming it must be the mouse.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
NO solution and mine began to act up (when i move the mouse over the taskbar, clicking doesn't do anything. Also desktop folders won't open and i have to do Ctrl+Alt+Del then cancel to temporarily fix it.)

Is this the problem? I did a window 7 update last night which included some 'mouse and keyboard updates'. could this have done it?
I also did an offered update on my VLC player and on that, when i double-click the screen it does not go to full screen.
Also an AMD update offer popped up around the time i did the windows 7 update. Could this maybe have affected the display and created this problem?

Everything was perfect before the updates. Another issue i've had since i got this PC is that, even in safe mode, I CAN NOT do a system RESTORE; No way No how! So there's no going back to before the update. I hope this gives someone here a clue as to what this is; we can't live like this:(

thanks

scaupus

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

that was it for me too. scroll is hinky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS