Nov 30, 2020
Upgrading the graphics card for my son’s computer:
Motherboard: MSI Bazooka H370M
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Memory: 16GB DDR4 Ram
PSU: 600W
Monitor: AOC-FreeSync, 1920x1080, 144Hz
Son plays FPS mostly and has recently been playing Oculus VR as well.
Any input would be greatly helpful.
Budget-would like to stay under $600.
Thanks a bunch.

Solution
My apologies. My son just informed me of this: Seasonic FOCUS 750 Gold SSR-750FM 750W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular 7 Year Warranty Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply. He has this in his computer.

Seasonic makes great PSUs. That PSU should be enough for any GPU in your price range you can throw at it.
A RTX 3070 would pair very well with this build (MSRP $500) but there is a significant GPU shortage right now that is making them hard to find and is driving prices of even significantly inferior hardware up. It'll take a mixture of patience and luck to find one before 2021, but that's definitely the one to get for high refresh rate 1080p gaming.

Reactions: bobpat24
I apologize for the naïveté, but is there a better brand that others (NVIDIA vs MSI, etc?)

Nvidia makes the GPU, board partners (MSI, ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte) configure the card, put it together and install a cooling solution (although Nvidia makes its own as well). Almost all if them have nearly identical performance, but the difference in cooling design determines how hot the GPU gets when pushed hard and how much noise the cooler makes when it is being pushed hard. Generally speaking, the bigger/thicker/more fans on the cooler, the better it'll cool and the quieter it'll be.

Nov 30, 2020
My apologies. My son just informed me of this: Seasonic FOCUS 750 Gold SSR-750FM 750W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular 7 Year Warranty Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply. He has this in his computer.

Reactions: punkncat