Question Computer never goes to sleep automatically and wakes up from sleep randomly

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021
Hello everyone. My computer been acting weird since 2-3 weeks. It doesn't go to sleep after the set amount of time, and when I manually set the computer to sleep mode it randomly wakes up after 10 minutes. I've checked the event viewer and the wake source is unknown. What could be causing this issue?

Ralston18

Titan
So Event Viewer does capture a "wake up"? Any codes or errors? You should be able to click to see more technical details. (Details which may or may not be helpful....)

Also look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational events.

Reliability History provides a time line format that may reveal something that happened or changed 2 - 3 weeks ago.

Also look in Update History - any failed or problem updates?

Take a closer look at the Power Plan(s):

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/active_power_plan.html

Lastly look in Task Scheduler. What you are looking for is some triggered action that occurs around (just before/after) the set amount of time that you expect the computer to go to sleep.

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021
So Event Viewer does capture a "wake up"? Any codes or errors? You should be able to click to see more technical details. (Details which may or may not be helpful....)

Also look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational events.

Reliability History provides a time line format that may reveal something that happened or changed 2 - 3 weeks ago.

Also look in Update History - any failed or problem updates?

Take a closer look at the Power Plan(s):

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/active_power_plan.html

Lastly look in Task Scheduler. What you are looking for is some triggered action that occurs around (just before/after) the set amount of time that you expect the computer to go to sleep.
Event Viewer does capture a wake up. What I've realized is: The computer wakes up right after the system time changes.
Here is a screenshot of it: View: https://imgur.com/a/uPnpanm

The orange outline is when the computer wakes up and the red outlines are the system time change information.

In Reliability History, there are bunch of errors.
They are mostly "Windows was not properly shut down." errors. Which are because of power outages and overclocking shut downs. Although, there are some "Hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly." errors. Most of them happened right after "Windows was not properly shut down." and some of them happened right after game crashes. The game crashes are surely because of overclocking, because I was testing the limits of my iGPU.

There are no failed updates in Update History.

I've set my power plan to sleep after 10 minutes and disabled wake timers.

The wake source of the computer is unknown (For some reason.) and I don't get what could be causing it. Maybe a faulty SSD?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished,used....). History of heavy use for gaming, video work, or bit-mining?

Increasing numbers of errors and varying errors are a sign of a failing PSU.

However, there could be other reasons:

System time/date changes - unless there is a specific reason, known to you, for the time and date changing that is another problem.

How is the computer currently configured/synchronized to get its' "time"?

Use "WIN" + "I" > Time & Language" > Date & time to check the current configuration.

Correct the time source as necessary.

Also install a new CMOS battery.

Hopefully one or the other will restore normal sleep.

If not, then it is possible that some of those shutdowns caused file corruption.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to repair.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs

Shalou

Prominent
Sep 17, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished,used....). History of heavy use for gaming, video work, or bit-mining?

Increasing numbers of errors and varying errors are a sign of a failing PSU.

However, there could be other reasons:

System time/date changes - unless there is a specific reason, known to you, for the time and date changing that is another problem.

How is the computer currently configured/synchronized to get its' "time"?

Use "WIN" + "I" > Time & Language" > Date & time to check the current configuration.

Correct the time source as necessary.

Also install a new CMOS battery.

Hopefully one or the other will restore normal sleep.

If not, then it is possible that some of those shutdowns caused file corruption.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to repair.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs
CPU: Xeon E3-1245 V3
MOBO: Asus H87-Plus
RAM: 10 GB. 8 GB 1600 MHz, 2 GB 1333 MHz all, both clocked at 1600.
SSD: Netac 250GB
GPU: Running on iGPU: HD P4600
PSU: Leigu550, 500W.

The PSU is not giving any fail signs and is slightly used. I haven't seen any sudden shut downs with it.

Time was set to "Set time automatically.". Now turned off and synchronized manually.

CMOS could be useful because this MOBO is near a decade old now. Are there any other signs of a faulty CMOS that I can make sure it's the CMOS battery?

sfc /scannow did find some corrupted files and fixed them. I'll see if this fixes the problem. I appreciate the help, hope you have a good day! ^-^