[SOLVED] Computer noob here, I have a 3397 motherboard from HP and I'm wondering if the GT 1030 is compatible?

Feb 24, 2022
I know nothing about computers, have almost no idea what I'm doing other than some guidance from friends.

I wanna get a graphics card and I was told to get the GeForce GT 710 since it's cheap, kinda bad, but better than nothing. But I've also found the GT 1030 also in my price range and I've heard that's a lot better, my friends have said that it might not be compatible with my motherboard so I've come here. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
hp compaq elite 8200 small is the case that i have, quite small but i think a graphics card like a 1030 could most likely fit in there(?)

wasn't able to get a picture of the power supply but it was a 240W unit.. no idea anything about power supply units
The 8200 SFF has an x16 PCIe slot so you should be ok. Power draw for a 1030 is minimal. You'll need a low profile card to fit in that tiny chassis. It needs to have a short mounting plate also and you want a DDR5 memory version if you can find one. If your monitor is also really old it may only have a VGA input so you need to check that and get an adapter if needed.

Upgrade video for reference:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NSocVEYPJE

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it is more than the mobo you need to consider. the board has a pcie slot which is all it needs to run any gpu. not a big concern.

the question is mainly about the power supply and what i can handle. neither one of those cards use much power but it is still worth verifying before getting a card the pc may not be able to handle. also to consider is how much room is in the case and what size card it can fit.

what is the actual hp model you have?? and if possible can you open the case and take/post a pic of the power supply label. always good to cover all the bases BEFORE spending money.

Feb 24, 2022
it is more than the mobo you need to consider. the board has a pcie slot which is all it needs to run any gpu. not a big concern.

the question is mainly about the power supply and what i can handle. neither one of those cards use much power but it is still worth verifying before getting a card the pc may not be able to handle. also to consider is how much room is in the case and what size card it can fit.

what is the actual hp model you have?? and if possible can you open the case and take/post a pic of the power supply label. always good to cover all the bases BEFORE spending money.
hp compaq elite 8200 small is the case that i have, quite small but i think a graphics card like a 1030 could most likely fit in there(?)

wasn't able to get a picture of the power supply but it was a 240W unit.. no idea anything about power supply units

The 8200 SFF has an x16 PCIe slot so you should be ok. Power draw for a 1030 is minimal. You'll need a low profile card to fit in that tiny chassis. It needs to have a short mounting plate also and you want a DDR5 memory version if you can find one. If your monitor is also really old it may only have a VGA input so you need to check that and get an adapter if needed.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 24, 2022

you sure a 240w PSU is enough for a 1030? i've been surfing the web a bit and seeing that its probably not worth getting a 1030 with this PSU. im not able to get another PSU either.

if the 1030 can work on my bad PSU then thats great! if not, are there literally any graphics cards out there that are quite cheap and can work?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the 1030 is a 30w card so you should be ok. this assumes the system is pretty much stock. a bunch of extra drives will quickly take up the tiny bit of spare wattage from the psu.

but if you got 1 hdd and no other add-ons you can get away with it. but if you have it stuffed wit extra drives, fans and anything else you can pack in there, then it is not a good idea.

but as it came from hp, the 1030 would be ok if you get a low profile one to fit.

Reactions: Archaic59