[SOLVED] COMPUTER NOT DISPLAYING IMAGE AFTER GPU UPGRADE

Dec 19, 2019
I have a ryzen 3900x, asus x570 e-strix gaming mobo and a evga rtx 2070 super xc ultra. I just upgraded to a rtx 2080ti xc ultra and its not displaying an image, but the pc is turning on and all rgbs leds are turned on including the GPU's. I switched back to the 2070 super and its still not displaying an image. I tried both GPU's in all my pcie 16 slots and no image is being displayed. I've checked all plugs to make sure they have a full connection. Im assuming it's a mobo issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this or troubleshoot it? Would resetting the cmos help?

Solution
Time to pull it out an breadboard it with the bare minimums; motherbd, cpu, cooler, 1 ram, & gpu and see if it works outside of the case and also take some voltages at the 24 pin, 8pin, and pcie/gpu connectors if you have a meter.

24pin voltages . make a note of what you get on pin 8 (the only grey one) as that is what actually turns on the system. It's how the PSU signals to the motherbd that it's voltages have stabilized and are good, go ahead and boot up.

popatim

Titan
Try pulling the plug and the cmos battery for half an hour.
I'm not holding out much hope, it sounds like you may have forgotten to pull the plug before the swap and may have shorted something out. PC's aren't really off when you shut down windows anymore.

Dec 19, 2019
Try pulling the plug and the cmos battery for half an hour.
I'm not holding out much hope, it sounds like you may have forgotten to pull the plug before the swap and may have shorted something out. PC's aren't really off when you shut down windows anymore.
I turned off the psu and pulled the plug as well before swapping the gpu. The 2080ti does have a 16 pin plug in instead of a 14 pin plug in like the 2070 super. I had an additional 2 pins that weren't plugged in but I plugged them in when I installed the 2080ti. Could that have caused an issue? I have an 850w corsair 80+ gold.

popatim

Titan
Time to pull it out an breadboard it with the bare minimums; motherbd, cpu, cooler, 1 ram, & gpu and see if it works outside of the case and also take some voltages at the 24 pin, 8pin, and pcie/gpu connectors if you have a meter.

24pin voltages . make a note of what you get on pin 8 (the only grey one) as that is what actually turns on the system. It's how the PSU signals to the motherbd that it's voltages have stabilized and are good, go ahead and boot up.

Solution