Question Computer not posting when gpu is connected

Jun 22, 2022
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 7 5700G
T-Force Vulcan 8GB x 4
Corsair RM750x 80+Gold

GPU in question:
A used ASUS Rog Strix Radeon RX 570 O4G
The seller said that it was tested before being sent over to me so I have been thinking maybe I have done something wrong.

I have used the computer with just the APU for a long time but when I plugged in the gpu and powered it, the computer refuses to post and the VGA light would come on.
I have resetted the cmos and tried plugging it into the other x16 slot but aside from that I can't get the computer to post when the gpu is plugged in and powered but if I unplug it from the psu (after turning off the computer and psu) it launches normally with the apu.

Are there any possible things I can try as I don't have any other computers near me to test if it works in them

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Are there any possible things I can try as I don't have any other computers near me to test if it works in them

No.
Unless you have 2nd, known to work, dedicated GPU at hand, to test if perhaps, the issue is with MoBo and it's PCI-E x16 slot(s).

Also, it could've been that:
  • seller lied of GPU working
  • it got damaged during shipping (still seller's fault for improper packaging for shipping)

At this point, i'd return the GPU and ask money back. There are loads of used GPUs out there. Also, even brand new GPU prices have come down, so might want to look towards that one instead.

Personally, i'll never buy an used GPU, since with it, you will not get any warranty what-so-ever. And chances of it not working, are high, since there must be a good reason why it is put on 2nd hand market in the 1st place.

Jun 22, 2022
No.
Unless you have 2nd, known to work, dedicated GPU at hand, to test if perhaps, the issue is with MoBo and it's PCI-E x16 slot(s).

Also, it could've been that:
  • seller lied of GPU working
  • it got damaged during shipping (still seller's fault for improper packaging for shipping)
At this point, i'd return the GPU and ask money back. There are loads of used GPUs out there. Also, even brand new GPU prices have come down, so might want to look towards that one instead.

Personally, i'll never buy an used GPU, since with it, you will not get any warranty what-so-ever. And chances of it not working, are high, since there must be a good reason why it is put on 2nd hand market in the 1st place.
Thanks for the advice! I'll contact the seller and probably get a refund since I wouldn't want to get another card just to see if the first card was faulty.

Reactions: Aeacus