[SOLVED] Computer Not Turning On

Oct 4, 2020
So I bought two more 8gb ram modules identical to the ones in my tower originally for more ram, and after installing them, the pc wouldnt boot, until multiple trial and errors, of removing new ram, so I got into the BIOS and then went to install the new ram after resetting it, the problem occurred after this, as now for whatever reason, my tower wont turn on at all. I'm assuming it's a related problem with my PSU, I am unable to test the PSU using a different machine, so I don't have a way to test the fact the PSU is working.

Solution
I don't see that memory listed on the QVL under compatibility. Try running the memory at 2133MHz after clearing the CMOS.

As far as the paperclip test, that makes it more difficult and actually hazardous if you cannot get the schematic for it and actually count correctly to find the correct pins -- probably better to attach it to another motherboard in another computer.

RealBeast

Titan
So I bought two more 8gb ram modules identical to the ones in my tower originally for more ram, and after installing them, the pc wouldnt boot, until multiple trial and errors, of removing new ram, so I got into the BIOS and then went to install the new ram after resetting it, the problem occurred after this, as now for whatever reason, my tower wont turn on at all. I'm assuming it's a related problem with my PSU, I am unable to test the PSU using a different machine, so I don't have a way to test the fact the PSU is working.
First, what is the motherboard model and the full memory model number(s)?

You can test your PSU with a paperclip -- short the green wire to a black wire (ground) on the 24 pin power cable (with it disconnected from the motherboard of course). HERE is a step by step instruction for the paperclip test.

If it tests good by turning on -- reconnect everything and clear your CMOS and then try to turn it on.

Oct 4, 2020
First, what is the motherboard model and the full memory model number(s)?

You can test your PSU with a paperclip -- short the green wire to a black wire (ground) on the 24 pin power cable (with it disconnected from the motherboard of course). HERE is a step by step instruction for the paperclip test.

If it tests good by turning on -- reconnect everything and clear your CMOS and then try to turn it on.

Im using a MSI Z490 Gaming Edge WIFI Motherboard
Memory Model Number: CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W

Unfortunately the cables on my 24 pin connector are all black so i can connect the relevant wires to do the paperclip test :(

RealBeast

Titan
I don't see that memory listed on the QVL under compatibility. Try running the memory at 2133MHz after clearing the CMOS.

As far as the paperclip test, that makes it more difficult and actually hazardous if you cannot get the schematic for it and actually count correctly to find the correct pins -- probably better to attach it to another motherboard in another computer.

Solution
Oct 4, 2020

So fun story, my 24pin wasnt connected properly, thanks so much for the help though, saved me through lots of panic

Reactions: RealBeast
cant seem to find any schematics for the cable, and resetting the CMOS, did not work either, still no life :(

You don't really need schematics for that... every ATX 24pin cable is standardized.
Here's a picture... you'll need to short the same pins:

psu_24-pin_power_test.png