[SOLVED] Computer only running slow outside of games

Ryarwood99

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
I've been trying to help my brother with his slow desktop for a while. I've checked his HDD usage and it's not a bottleneck, I've checked RAM and it's not too high and also no errors when checking memory. The temps are also fine. According to task manager his CPU usage is low but is clocked around .8GHz. The thing that's throwing me off is that in games it runs fine, but on the desktop it's painfully slow which for the specs it should not be.

Specs:
i7 4790k
24GB RAM
980Ti
250GB SSD
320 7200 HDD

Solution
Go to power options, select "performance" instead of "balanced". That should (IIRC) just leave the CPU at full clockspeed at all times. Obviously not ideal, but a good first step for troubleshooting.

What did you use to check the RAM? If you use Prime95, does the CPU speed stay where it's expected to be during the test?

800MHz is probably idle speed. If nothing was being processed when you looked at that, it's normal.
Go to power options, select "performance" instead of "balanced". That should (IIRC) just leave the CPU at full clockspeed at all times. Obviously not ideal, but a good first step for troubleshooting.

What did you use to check the RAM? If you use Prime95, does the CPU speed stay where it's expected to be during the test?

800MHz is probably idle speed. If nothing was being processed when you looked at that, it's normal.

Solution

Ryarwood99

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014

Yes, 800MHz seems normal for idle but it is running so slow it seemed like it could be part of the problem so I included it. And I used both the motherboards mem check as well as windows