Question Computer powers off, blinking power LED

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
So, I cleaned up my old PC after building this new one, repasted the CPU, cleaned out some dust, cleaned up the fans, and put it together with a PSU from another computer. Problem is, when I try to turn it on, it powers on for like a second or two, then powers off with the LED blinking, fans spin, but stops when it powers off. If I unplug it and try it again, eventually it tries to boot, I can get to BIOS, but then I get to the booting windows screen, be it the installed OS on the HDD or trying to boot the USB flash drive to reinstall and it powers off, with the power LED blinking.

Any ideas?

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Could it be the PSU? I wasn't aware of this ahead of time, but the person who previously used the PSU had issues of the system powering off during gaming, like you'd expect if there was an overheating, or could it have been powering itself off due to a power issue as the GPU/CPU drained too much power, and putting it in the new computer with the higher frequency RAM and 8-core GPU would drain too much period?

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Alright, so I opened up my new PC and placed it right beside the old one and connected the power supply to the old.. it booted up just fine. So the problem is clearly the PSU. Ordering a new one now.

jason41987

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
wth.. the second PSU arrived and it worked for 4-5 days and suddenly the same damn issue.. could there be something wrong with the CPU or motherboard that can damage a PSU or are the capstones from rosewill simply junk? because thats two of them in two weeks that fried