Computer powers on by itself. BIOS Setting? (P8Z77-V Pro)

jstluise

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Brand new build, and I just got everything loaded up last night (OS along with all updates, drivers, some programs, etc). Right now, just the bare essentials are installed (SSD, Optical Drive...no graphics card or other HDDs). I finished up last night and shut the computer down (Start>Shut Down). Shut down fine.

Got up this morning and the computer was on. I thought maybe I just forgot to shut it down. Shut it down again, and came back 30 minutes later and it was on again.

I couldn't find a clear reason for this happening. Some of what I found said it was a power setting in the BIOS, causing it to boot up on a loss in power? Or that the BIOS battery may be low? Just looking for some guidance so I know what to check out when I get home.

-Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

Other than that, the system is running great!

Go through the bios settings.
Most likely you have wake on lan turned on.
Whenever you get a lan message, possibly even from hackers probing your pc, it will turn on. Disable that.
Other possibilities are wake on timer and...

The bios batteries seem to last forever, and I would not expect that symptom anyway.
No worries there.

Another possibility:
If you have a cat, that walked over your keyboard, that is a common way to wake up a pc.
Yes, it has happened to me:)

That is another bios setting.
Usually, the default is to leave it in the state it was when power was lost.
But... It could be set to power on after a power loss.
I prefer to have it set to remain off regardless.

jstluise

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Thanks for the prompt response! I'll check out the BIOS.

I should have noted that I am not wired to a LAN, but rather using the built in wireless on the mobo, so I am not sure if that would cause it to turn or not.

Also, for sure the PC is turned off, and not sleeping, so I woudn't expect a keyboard or mouse to "wake" it up.

Thanks again!

That is another bios setting.
Usually, the default is to leave it in the state it was when power was lost.
But... It could be set to power on after a power loss.
I prefer to have it set to remain off regardless.

This is the setting that people seemed to be talking about. I'll look for it.

jstluise

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
After a blazing fast response from ASUS tech support, I was advised to make sure the "Restore AC Power Loss" was set to "Power Off", which is in the APM Configuration. Unfortunately, it is already set correctly.

Next, I was advised to reset the BIOS, which I will do next and see if the problem comes up again.

urmyuk1

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Your not on your own....

I have exactly the same problem, built a system just 2 days ago with
the same Motherboard and after its been shut down it comes back on be
itself. There is no set pattern to it, can be off from 2mins-15mins before
coming back on. Other than that everything is fine.

The testing I have done.

I've updated a reset BIOS, still starts up.

After shut down I've disconnected all Case front panel buttons, still starts up.

If put to 'sleep' with everything connected it stays in 'sleep', press
the power button and it comes on as it should.

If I turn the PSU off and then on again it will not
Start back up on its own.

I pretty much stuck now, I'll updated this post if anything developes :)

jstluise

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Well I'm glad there is someone else out there. Thanks for posting your efforts thus far. The next step the ASUS guy told me to do was to try out a different PSU; however, I don't have a spare. My PSU is a (brand new) Corsair HX750, and from the sounds of it, I will be RMAing that, too. I don't think it is related to the problem, but the PSU fan has a nasty rattle when it spins up and spins down. Anyways, I'll get another brand new PSU so I can at least verify if that is the root of the problem or not.

Thanks again!

I really doubt that your problem is the psu.
There has to be a trigger somewhere.
Perhaps the wireless function has some option to remain active when the pc is shut down.
That would then operate as wake on lan activity.
Regardles, turn off the wake on lan and any other wake settings you can find.

Another possibility is in windows power management.
There is a setting to allow wake timers which should probably be disables.

jstluise

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I agree that the PSU shouldn't be a problem.

I could not find any other settings in the BIOS regarding wake on LAN. I emailed ASUS back to see if they knew of any other settings.

HOWEVER! I did find something in the Windows power management settings for the network adapters (In device manager, right click on the network adapter and select properties. Then go to Power Management tab).

On my LAN adapter, there is a power management setting "Wake on Magic Packet from power off state" that is checked. This is the only setting I could find that mentions the power off state, since the other wake settings are only for standby or hibernation. Hopefully, this was the problem...I am unchecking all Wake on LAN settings. Even though nothing is plugged into the adapter, I suppose it could be causing issues.

My WLAN adapter had some wake settings, but they were already unchecked.

jstluise

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Well, I had to power on by itself again, so I'm not sure if the wake setting I disabled last time did anything.

I checked the boot/shutdown log, and it says I shut it down at 1:14am, which is correct. The weird thing is right after that there is a boot log entry for the same time, 1:14am. I know it did not start up right after I shut it down, so that seems odd to me.

jstluise

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Well shoot. I timed mine yesterday over several boots...I was getting anything ranging from 5 minutes to 20 minutes.

The only other thing I can think of (unless there is a mysterious BIOS setting that the ASUS team hasn't mentioned) is the CMOS battery is bad. In one forum post I found, the OP mentioned that was his problem. I have some spares laying around, so its worth a shot, I guess.

What still doesn't get me is that, after shutdown, if we turn the PSU off, then back on, the comp will stay off indefinitely. It's like some settings or something are retained and are only cleared once the PSU is off. This behavior makes me think the mobo is just faulty; even with a bad power switch or CMOS battery, I would expect the problem to be there all the time.

urmyuk1

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I agree with you on the Motherboard. Trouble it is not just something you can takeout I store and fit another to try.

I haven't contacted were I bought it, they will probably say it's something I've done wrong or Software / BIOS Setting.

jstluise

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

From what I understand, if there is anything at all that can turn the computer on (after being shut down), it has to be at the BIOS level. If the comp was in standby or hibernation state, then it would be a different story.

This is just after a quick search for "programs to automatically turn computer on" or along those lines. I could be completely wrong.

I was stretching. I think you are correct.

You might go through the bios settings again.

I might try deactivating the wifi to see if the problem might be in that area.

jstluise

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Urmyuk1, are you hooked up via LAN or Wifi? Do you have the Wifi module installed? I'm using Wifi.

jstluise

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I guess that's another thing to try, but I don't know what it will tell us if it starts acting normal after the module is removed. It could still be the mobo. I don't really want to deal with it anyways since you have to take the entire mobo out to take the module off.

I just disabled the LAN adapter and am waiting for it to boot up. This is getting frustrating since I don't know if I am going to have to wait 1 minute or 30 minutes for it to boot on its own. :pfff: