Computer powers up, but no display on monitors

interestinguy123

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
Computer turns on but no monitor display. Gpu fans don't spin either. I was having a problem a few weeks back where my computer would black screen while in the middle of a game, I would have to turn it off to continue doing anything. I would also have to have a fan blowing on my rig to keep it on (overheating I guess) . Sometimes after I'd turn it off; it would take multiple times of turning it back on to get display. Then one day it turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I later swapped out the power supply and it powered up but I was getting no display and no sign of life from gpu ( such as fans spinning).

Specs: gigabyte ga-970-d3p motherboard.
Amd Radeon red devil rx 480 8gb gpu.
Amd fx-8350 8 core CPU.

Xpg adata 4g x8 ram sticks -x2
Gskill 8gbxl rip jaws x8gb ddr3

Sea sonic focus gold 750w psu

Solution
checking: is the seasonic your new or old PSU? If new, what was the old PSU? From information I've seen others post, AMD apparently fixed the issue by changing having too much power drawn from the 6 pin vs the old way of too much power from the MB PCIe. (though your card uses an 8 pin? More watts avaiablbe in spec with 8 pin) If the seasonic is your new PSU, the old PSU's over wattage draw could have damaged the PSU (the not turning obviously possibly sign of bad PSU, hence why you replaced it) Granted, the direct connect from the 6 pin should handle the over-wattage better, but not a guarantee it does. The more wattage the more heat produced obviously. This applies to your video card as well if concern about damage there: are...

interestinguy123

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
I've unplugged and reseated everything, my pcie cords are in. I've taken out the motherboard battery and put it back in, I've tried booting with 1 ram stick, my 4/8 pin +12v power connector is in, I'm lost.

Would recommend trying another PCIE slotand see if that temporarily helps.

Google the terms: amd 480 too much power pcie

Many discussions on rx 480 overdrawing power from PCIE slot (depending on driver version), or the 6pin. Not necessarily the current problem, but a possible one to test for. This situation could have caused damage IF it applies to you.

checking: is the seasonic your new or old PSU? If new, what was the old PSU? From information I've seen others post, AMD apparently fixed the issue by changing having too much power drawn from the 6 pin vs the old way of too much power from the MB PCIe. (though your card uses an 8 pin? More watts avaiablbe in spec with 8 pin) If the seasonic is your new PSU, the old PSU's over wattage draw could have damaged the PSU (the not turning obviously possibly sign of bad PSU, hence why you replaced it) Granted, the direct connect from the 6 pin should handle the over-wattage better, but not a guarantee it does. The more wattage the more heat produced obviously. This applies to your video card as well if concern about damage there: are the card's vrm's or other circuitry damaged by PSU delivery issues? Though not a certainty, it is a consideration. A PSU that was failing for other reasons (bad manufacturer or bad luck of the draw) could be an issue in power delivery as a consideration as well.

Does the computer sound like it is performing a normal boot except that you can't see the display? (more relevant if your boot drive is a hard drive and you can hear it going through it's paces.)

Do you have another video card you can test with?

Since it sounds like you were having a cooling issue. Check on that. What cooling solution and case fans are you using? Do
you have sufficient airflow? If you are using a closed liquid AIO, did you have pump failure?

If you have a pc speaker, what beep codes do you get both with the card in the system and with the video card removed from the system?

Solution