Computer randomly crashes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackthorne

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
So everything was removed and then put back together. after this the problam began...however it wasnt fully tested after the cord issue and before the rebuild....so either one could be at fault.

that complicates the issue. if you have another PC at home you can at least test each component individually in a known working PC. You can test things like video card, memory, cpu first.

Did prime95 error out on you or did the computer crash before you could tell? You want to run the one that says "large in place FFT's" or something like that. Memtest86 is another program you can install on a bootable CD or flash drive and run before your computer goes into windows. This just tests the memory and that might help you eliminate that as a possible problem.

Kedeli

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
i did apply the thermal paste. i can probably afford to replace one part if i must but i have to know what it is first. prime95 didn't get to finish as pc crashed again. i dont have another computer i can use so that leaves me with the only option of troubleshooting the faulty part.. as long as it crashes again with no audio drivers or souncard installed but im not optimistic. thanks for the help guys.

Kedeli

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
ok so... it's not the audio drivers. how do I go about diagnosing the problem part? computer ran fine all morning for about 4 hours and then freeze. screen just locks and restart was required.. ugh this is so annoying. help please??

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hey buddy you have another thread on the forum with the same issue...

By your info here, I understand it is a motherboard fault.

Just if you have the chance to try your graphics card on another pc do it because graphic cards tend to do the same and if someone tripped over the wire then there is a posibility that the graphic card had a big bump or pulled the monitor cable too hard.

Just forget what I said on the other thread.this makes sense now..

Kedeli

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
well the computer did crash in the bios so can i take that as a sure sign of a hardware fault?? and if so i assume that i then begin eliminating possible faulty parts. the problem is i have to be sure which one it is before i replace as money is an issue and i don't want to buy a new motherboard only to find the exact same problem when i get it..

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Ok you are almost there.try the gpu on another pc and if that pc works fine then the motherboard would be the 'last man standing' but do that because gpu's do almost the same things when they break down. See, bios never lies :) good luck

Kedeli

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
yeah thanks man i really found something significant there because it crashes almost immediately upon entering the bios, but it runs for at least a few hours on the desktop. i had it running for id say 12 hours between today and yesterday combined. i have not played any games on it though. but today i went into the bios and it froze after less than a minute 3 times in a row. so based on this... you would think it is between the gpu and mobo? if so i'll try to find the culprit now.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Glad that its helping. Yeah well just that it sounds odd that the audio ports would had broken,(I have not seen the board tough) but I would be surprised if the display cable was never pulled out in the 'accident' I have troubleshooted many gpus for laptops and that is what they do when they fail. But here,in laptops gpus are normally attached to the mb so that is why I ask you to test if your gpu is ok. Let me know how it went.

Kedeli

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Well the pc is completely unusable now, by that I mean it turns on but there is no picture. I just get a black screen now.. Can I use onboard graphics with my mobo? It's in the description. It doesn't seem to have any place to connect a lead from the monitor..