Computer Randomly Freezes

Funky Ducky

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
Resubmitting because I marked the last one as solved after supposedly narrowing it down to my psu. After replacing, still doesn't work.

So, I have a custom built computer that I built back in mid July. Ran great for a while. Occasional freeze, but no big deal. I recently moved into my dorms and the problem has getting much worse. But first, specs.
I'm running a MSI SLI 970a Krait Edition motherboard, XFX Radeon R9-380p , AMD FX-8320, 2x 4gb Kell Neo DDR3 ram, Seagate 1tb hd, Mushkin 120gb ssd, with a Rosewill Glacier 700w power supply.
Generally, it doesn't lock up frequently when I'm browsing. Start playing games or such and it locks up within 20 minutes generally. So far, I've attempted a sfc scan with no errors (was getting some before I did a clean install), scanned for viruses with multiple programs (not running at the same time) with no results, hard disk check with no errors, checked the drivers, temps, memory test, I've tried taking out a stick of ram and swapping them out so only one was in at a time to no avail, and I resorted to a clean install of windows after I was having some issues with a "refresh" of WIndows 8.1. Same problems after the clean install. Usually crashes within 20 minutes or so of playing any games, but browsing freezes are more rare and take longer. At this point, I'm stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marty01

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
There are a lot of factors causing freezing and crashes.
High temperatures is a quite common reason. You should check if the fans on your PSU, GPU are working. Check temperatures, even if you did.
If it happens more while playing games, GPU seems to be a suspect. They usually get hotter while playing games, eventually leading to crashes or freezing. High temperatures tend to throttle hardware, this could explain freezing.
Perhaps fan on your CPU?
Another reason is faulty software. It could be drivers or OS.
Check for latest drivers, update your OS.
You could also check OS for any issues.
Run command prompt as administrator and type
sfc /scannow

Funky Ducky

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

I really don't feel like purchasing another os just to test it. I have monitored the temps while running stress tests and such with nothing too out of the ordinary.

Funky Ducky

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

I've updated all my drivers and rolled back my drivers to check that. All my fans work and I've checked the fan speeds on them and its all normal. I thought overheating for a bit too, but I haven't seen anything from the readouts that suggest that. Also, I've run the sfc multiple times with no errors.

Marty01

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
Temperature rises as you play games.You should check temperatures after several minutes of play.
Monitor your FPS as you play games and see if they drop during the playtime.

Check also reliability monitor. It is part of Win8 and 10.
Type Reliability, open it up and check for crash events. You may find something there.

Funky Ducky

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

FPS is pretty consistent. My temp for my gpu the last time it crashed was only 74c so not that hot. Only problems are updates not installing being I'm having to force power down my computer and the errors from the force power down. [strike][/strike]

Marty01

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
There should be crash events in the reliability monitor.

Check also CPU temp, that could cause system crash as well.

What you mean updates are not installing. Sometimes it takes time for computer to close all the programs running before it turns off.
You can check update history in windows update. It's definitely a bad think if updates are not installing. There are options to manually install them or you can use Windows Update Troubleshooter, if theyre really not installed.

Funky Ducky

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

Only crashes are kernel power errors from me having to force power off my computer. The reason updates weren't installing was because I was force powering off the computer due to the freezes. They've been installed since.

Checked cpu and gpu temps with extra fans blowing and cooled them down quite a bit to no avail.

Marty01

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
Are there any other errors before crashes? Perhaps that would give you some idea.

Check voltages, especially 12v under stress, also check vcore voltage for your GPU. You can use gpu-z or Open Hardware Monitor for that if you dont have anything better.

Edit. Nm you dont have crossfire.
You can check your voltages anyway.

Funky Ducky

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

There seems to be nothing related to the crashes. Voltages all look to be within a good margin.

Marty01

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
Perhaps PCI slot is bad. Move your gpu to another slot.
If you have sound card, remove it. Remove all the peripherals.
Remove motherboard battery to reset BIOS.
Update BIOS.

I assume Windows is on SSD and the disk set to AHCI mode.

74C is quite hot for this cpu. Max recommended is 70C. Ideally it should run at 60C max.

Funky Ducky

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

Ya, I grabbed some extra fans and brought it down to 51C the last time it crashed. I'll try removing the battery and updating the bios to see if that helps.