[SOLVED] Computer randomly gets red squares, freezes then crashes

Noobsdeath2

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Hi! Have this issue that rarerly happend before but is starting to become more frequent now. Im doing whatever when the screen suddenly freezes and I get these red squares and the colors go all wonky. It then restarts the computer and it starts working normaly again. Any ideas of what it could be?

Here is a pic of how it looks:
View: https://imgur.com/P0QIKLc

Solution
its prolly the gpu, do u have any other gpu to plug in? and see if the same thing happens?
u could also try running ddu in safe mode to uninstall the drivers and then reinstalling ur graphic drivers, see if that helps, but to me it looks like its about to die, u could also try putting ur gpu in an oven , careful to not use a microwave cause it would burn, ( this is how Linus did it on youtube) and see if you still get artifacts after, but you could also completely kill it, so I'd try it as a last resort.
who knows maybe its just software related so exhaust every posibility before trying the oven thing.
Jul 9, 2020
its prolly the gpu, do u have any other gpu to plug in? and see if the same thing happens?
u could also try running ddu in safe mode to uninstall the drivers and then reinstalling ur graphic drivers, see if that helps, but to me it looks like its about to die, u could also try putting ur gpu in an oven , careful to not use a microwave cause it would burn, ( this is how Linus did it on youtube) and see if you still get artifacts after, but you could also completely kill it, so I'd try it as a last resort.
who knows maybe its just software related so exhaust every posibility before trying the oven thing.

Solution

Bscull12

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
If you are getting artifacts like that it's probably the gpu. May be time for a slight upgrade anyways, that sucker is pretty old.

If there's a new graphics card driver, install it but other than that you will probably just need a new card.

Noobsdeath2

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated! Tried doing a ddu but it did not fix the artifacting. Don't really feel like sticking my gpu in an oven but I appreciate the thought :)
Guess Im just gonna save up for an rx570 or something.

Jul 28, 2020
Is this "x5 times speed" done with editing the pic?
Edit: why is the date 18/12/2017 in that picture?
Edit: Looks like windows 7 not windows 10
Edit: Did you notice there is no red squares at the bottom of your screen

Last edited: