[SOLVED] Computer randomly restarting - need advice

demomorgon

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Hi there!

I would just like some advice if anyone is open to giving me some suggestions.

I can play video games for hours on end with no issues, I've monitored my CPU temp, my graphics card temp and my MOBO temp and everything stays stable. But at the most random times, sometimes watching a YouTube video or simply browsing the web, my screen will go black and say 'no signal' and it'll just reboot. The power doesn't entirely get cut off, I can hear the computer still running, it just goes black and then suddenly it's booting back up.

Again, I don't think that it's my temperatures, even under full load my graphics card doesn't go past 70 degrees, my CPU/Mobo also don't really go anywhere past that. Does anyone have any experience with this? Could the power supply be malfunctioning or could it even be my video card or MOBO? I'm just not really sure where to start. I'll post my specs below.

AMD Radeon RX 580 8 GB (purchased 2019)
ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 AMD Promontory B450 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (purchased 2020)
AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz (purchased 2020)
24 GB DDR4 Ram (Brand new, patriot viper elite)
Thermaltake Smart BX1 550W Bronze SLI/ CrossFire (Purchased 2019)
Widows 10 Home Edition (Fresh install as of March 2021)

Does this sound like it could be a PSU issue or should I look elsewhere or try anything else first before replacing it? It just seems weird to me that it will happen very randomly even if I'm just browsing the web, but other times, even under load, I have no issues)

Thanks

Solution
Blackscreens are almost always a gpu failure. But that doesn't necessarily mean hardware. Most often it's software/firmware. That means driver conflicts.

Many times changing the motherboard can help, sometimes not. Reason being is that the chipset drivers used by different vendors are different or putting in the same motherboard and reinstalling or having updated bios/drivers resolves the original issue.

YouTube is often an issue with that because of the codecs and compression used, if the original recording has bitflips or other errors, or your download has resulted in the same, you get a conflict.

I'd do a couple things first. Download and install the latest bios, and chipset drivers from the motherboard support website. Do not...

Ralston18

Titan
Based on just your post the PSU is a likely suspect although the true age is unknown,

When in 2019 was the PSU purchased?

Gaming, video editing, and mining are hard on PSUs. Likely to lead to a premature EOL (End of Life). EOL is designed into many of today's products.....

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, etc. that correspond with the computer restarts.

Increasing numbers of and varying errors is, in my mind, a symptom of a failing PSU.

Things you can do:

1.) Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

2.) If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it or know someone who does then the PSU can be tested.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages near or out of spec make the PSU suspect.

Reactions: norcalsc

demomorgon

Commendable
May 31, 2020
Based on just your post the PSU is a likely suspect although the true age is unknown,

When in 2019 was the PSU purchased?

Gaming, video editing, and mining are hard on PSUs. Likely to lead to a premature EOL (End of Life). EOL is designed into many of today's products.....

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, etc. that correspond with the computer restarts.

Increasing numbers of and varying errors is, in my mind, a symptom of a failing PSU.

Things you can do:

1.) Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

2.) If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it or know someone who does then the PSU can be tested.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages near or out of spec make the PSU suspect.

Hey,

Thanks for your response. I just went through with another extended stress test on both my CPU and my graphics card, no overheating issues or restarts, also tested RAM and everything was fine. Earlier, I had booted from a fresh restart, and I was simply just on discord chatting with a friend and it did the random restart again. I can't come to any other conclusion than the PSU. Unless there's a hardware issue elsewhere but I felt like that could have been made known through the extended stress tests right? I went ahead and purchased a new 80 PLUS Corsair CX 650W ATX PSU and I'm going to install that tomorrow and go from there.

barry45

Reputable
Jul 5, 2020
good that u already got the new PSU but if that doesnt work, you should take out the GPU run the pc on intregrated graphics and see if it still restarts.

Btw i have had this issue on a motherboard before, the motherboard was just a year old and it used to make my pc restart, replaced every component of my pc before replacing the mobo XD.

nothing soved it, until i got a new motherboard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Blackscreens are almost always a gpu failure. But that doesn't necessarily mean hardware. Most often it's software/firmware. That means driver conflicts.

Many times changing the motherboard can help, sometimes not. Reason being is that the chipset drivers used by different vendors are different or putting in the same motherboard and reinstalling or having updated bios/drivers resolves the original issue.

YouTube is often an issue with that because of the codecs and compression used, if the original recording has bitflips or other errors, or your download has resulted in the same, you get a conflict.

I'd do a couple things first. Download and install the latest bios, and chipset drivers from the motherboard support website. Do not use driver helpers of any sort, and if you have them, get rid of them. They are garbage.

Then run ccleaner (default) and that'll clean up any temp files or folders and other assorted garbage pc's collect. Same program, use the registry tool to clean that as well (say Yes! to backups). Then run ccleaner again.

Go to windows start, right click, and choose CMD with Admin. At the prompt, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and that'll run through Windows and fix any possible glitches.

That'll leave you with a clean PC as far as OS and software/firmware goes and see if you still get the Blackscreens.

Reactions: norcalsc
Solution