Question Computer randomly restarting

Sep 20, 2019
My computer is randomly restarting, booting to an error screen that states "a power surge was detected during previous power on". There is no power surges occurring, and I have changed the power strip and the outlet it is plugged into, no change. Upon further investigating I noticed my motherboard not shutting off with the computer, only going into standby mode then resuming when my power supply comes back on. I have tested multiple ssd and hdd and there is no change. I have checked all the temperatures and there is no sign of over heating. I also noticed that this is not occurring if the computer is left on the bios screen. This has happened in the past and I replaced the power supply, which was a different brand, and the issue was resolved, but it started again recently. I have had this power supply since April of 2017 and there is no visible sign of damage, no collection of dust, all cords are working properly and plugged in appropriately.

There is no common variable between restarts. Sometime it will happen before my computer is completely loaded, other times it will happen 10-15 minutes later, regardless of if the computer has been in use, (i.e. I played about 15 minutes worth of World of Warcraft before it restarted again, and another time left the computer idle for 5 minutes, then opened a Firefox window and it restarted.)

This all happened within a time frame of 2 and a half hours before it stopped. My computer has been running for 45 minutes with multiple windows and video games running and has not reset itself.

PSU: Corsair HX 850 Gold

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k @ 3.50GHz

Motherboard: Asus h170 Pro Gaming

RAM: DDR4 2133

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 970

Lutfij

Titan
FYI, if you went with a K suffix unlocked processor, you should've gone with a Z170 chipset board and DDR4-3200MHz ram kit.

That being said, which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard and what version of the OS are you on? Do the restarts occur when your discrete GPU is removed from the system?

Sep 20, 2019
FYI, if you went with a K suffix unlocked processor, you should've gone with a Z170 chipset board and DDR4-3200MHz ram kit.

That being said, which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard and what version of the OS are you on? Do the restarts occur when your discrete GPU is removed from the system?
CPU is not being overclocked

Bios version: American Megatrends 0407

The only things that have been tested are whats listed (motherboard, household power outlet and power strip, an hdd and ssd, PSU cables) Wasn't able to get any further testing before the restarts stopped on their own.