[SOLVED] Computer Randomly Restarts When Gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2020
I recently upgraded my PC after 5 years of the same hardware. Everything is new in the computer aside from the case itself and one 250GB Samsung SSD. Everything was working fine on the normal games I play (Tarkov, Rocket League, CSGO), but once I play new titles like Modern Warefare and others is where I see the issue.
My PC is randomly restarting with no warnings or errors. All the other things plugged into the outlet (Monitors and such) keep power so it shouldn't be the outlet, which is why I suspect it's something inside the PC. The crashes don't happen at a uniform time either. I could play for 30 min and it restart, or it could just not happen all day, very strange.
I had my buddy who's more tech savvy than myself try and see what he can find. We updated all drivers, BIOS is updated, shortly after crashes we would look in the Windows Event Viewer, and none of that would give us any info regarding crashes, and they would still occur. We've downloaded a few programs to help monitor, but still no really pressing issues that either of us can see.
One thing we noticed in the tests is that my Graphics Card (EVGA RTX 2080ti) runs quite hot. (around 83 Celsius on demanding games, which are the ones the PC crashes on).
Again, I'm not too technical with this but in the info i have seen on other forums, it almost seems common for high intensity games to have the card run hot. We tested to see if the temperature was the cause of the problem and nothing is giving us clear yes or no. I'm not running any sort of aftermarket cooler for my GPU, just the stock 2 fans, so the other thing we thought was my intake and outake fans on the case weren't performing. My case isn't the best for cooling (NZXT H440) but even when running the PC with the panels off for maximum air flow, the card was only a few degrees cooler (the high 70's), and still crashed after around an hour or so.
CPU sits around high 60's or low 70's so that doesn't seem like it should cause too many issues in temps.

Another thing that was brought up was the power supply, so I replaced it with a brand new Corsair 850 Gold and the issue is still persisting.

We suspect the card might be the cause of the problem so we swapped my old card (MSI GTX 970) into the system, and the crashes didn't happen. But again, this could be one of those days where it doesn't happen like it sometimes does, it's hard to say. If there's more tests I can do for the graphics card itself that would be helpful, maybe some issue with VRAM?

Here's the complete part list, maybe there's something conflicting that I don't know about. But if anyone has ideas or suggestions of what I could do next please let me know, thank you!

[Case:] NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015401I06/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[Motherboard:] MSI Z390-A Pro LGA1151 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J6Z9KJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[CPU:] Intel Core i9-9900k Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz https://www.newegg.com/core-i9-9th-gen-intel-core-i9-9900k/p/N82E16819117957?Item=N82E16819117957 [GPU:] EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition, 11GB https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KSPW8HQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[RAM:] G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232091?Item=N82E16820232091
[PSU:] CORSAIR RM850, 850 Watt 80+ Gold https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RCKG95L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[SSDs:] Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA III https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078DPCY3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA III https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0781Z7Y3S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Samsung 850 EVO SATA III https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAJ412U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[CPU Cooler:] Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, 120mm Fan https://www.newegg.com/cooler-maste...0pk-r2/p/N82E16835103099?Item=N82E16835103099

Reactions: Luke H./
Jan 6, 2020
Hello, I've personally not seen this problem before. You described quite accurately the problem and I understand what is happening. You didn't mention whether the CPU had been overclocked or the bios setting changed in any way. If so, reset the bios setting to default and try again. If they have been on stock the whole time, I recommend installing the original video card for a couple of days, maybe a week to truly troubleshoot the problem. If there are no problems or unprecedented restarts with the original card, you know then, there's a problem with the 2080ti. If this is the case and the card is still under warranty, explain the problem to Evga and send the card back. This particular type of card, I know for a fact can get warmer than other. But at 83c should not trigger a restart. Another thing you can do is enter the bios and look for a set maximum operating temperature for the card. If there is a maximum temperature limit on the card the system will shut down when this temperature is met.

Mar 25, 2020
No overclock has been done, and I haven't messed with the BIOS settings, I will check and see if there is a max operating temp set for the card inside and hopefully find the problem! Thank you for your seggestion!

Mar 25, 2020
UPDATE:
So checking the bios I couldn't find anything that directly let me change the temperature for the CPU or GPU, the only thing that was somewhat close was the motherboard VRM temperature. I had the option to shut that off but I left it on, cause in doing some research again I seen that other people were having problems with their i9-9900k and the same motherboard as me getting hot. So possibly my motherboard is shutting off due to temps getting high on the VRM? I'm currently monitoring with HWinfo to see what temperature my motherboard shows before the crash and see if that gets me anywhere.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Your build is nice in some areas and needs work in others.

1)The case.
You are correct regarding airflow. Terrible home for the mighty 2080Ti.
Now, while the temps may not have dropped much with the panels off, it was significant enough - 83C is the default thermal throttling temperature for the 2080Ti!

2)The motherboard + cpu.
You paired a budget Z390 mobo with a high end cpu... and going along with the 'stuffy' case, the mobo's VRMs are likely getting tossed in a sauna when the cpu actually gets a decent load on it.

3)Cpu + cpu cooler.
The Hyper 212 already doesn't cut it with a 9700K, which is basically a 9900K with hyperthreading off. It has no chance with a 9900K when you actually push it.

For now, disable hyperthreading in the bios and monitor for any restarts.

Mar 25, 2020
You're absolutely correct! I'm actually in the process of getting a liquid cooler for the CPU cause this old air cooler I'm using could be much better. I believe the corsair h115i series is what I was looking at. I'm also looking at getting a different case that way I give the hardware the best chance of getting good air flow throughout.

In terms of the motherboard, what would you recommend be a better option with this particular build? Would love to know that way I can add it to the list of things to buy!

Thanks again!

Jan 6, 2020
I have a Gigabyte Z930 Aorus Ultra for for my I7 9700k. I have an all core overclock at 5ghz and the board hardly heats up. But if you're not going to overclock (which I highly recommend on such and expensive chip) I'd go for something like a Gigabyte Z390 gaming X.

While waiting on a new cooler (if your core temps are pushing 95C), you could, via Intel's XTU, simply plug in lower all-core turbo clocks, lowering them perhaps by 100-200 MHz, to lower your power consumption/heat, and/or, blow a fan across the mainboard's VRM circuitry...

Are you sure MCE is not enabled on your board? (as would be indicated by attempted sustained operation on all cores near 5 GHz IF it is, merely disabling it should result in a decrease in peak clock speeds down to 4700 MHz or so....reducing heat /power by quite a bit.)

HWMonitor will show what is happening currently...; just run it and Prime95/small FFTs....(no AVX/AVX2). Default P95 /blended is a less stressful CPU load, and, likely more representative as to a gaming load, similar to CPU-Z/Bench/stress cpu)

Good luck!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Apr 3, 2020
Hey, I think I have the same problem. My PC randomly shuts off, it can happen at any time, sometimes 5 times a day and sometimes not even once in a few days. It just shuts off, like i unplugged the power. Then starts immediately like a normal start. I have noticed it happens most of the time while loading in to games like when i'm loading in to a CS:GO match or Rocket League match.

This has become very annoying now, i've tried every solution I can think of.
I have tried to:

• reseted the whole computer from scratch
  • cleaned the computer
  • tried different powerlines
  • updated drivers/bios/chipset
  • checked temps
  • tried another PSU

SPECS:
CPU: i7-8700k 3,7ghz
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060
PSU: Corsair CX650W
MOBO: ASUS Z370-P
RAM: Ballistix DDR4 16GB 2666mhz

ircreative121212

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
I have a thread on this as well. I get random restarts and it doesnt even leave an error in windows error logs. I brought my computer to a PC repair shop and they worked on it for 2 weeks and couldn't find the issue. They tested all hardware, formatted all drives, updated all bios/drivers. I've been able to swap out every single piece of hardware. And I'm still getting the same symptoms of restarting randomly and upwards of 5-6 times in a row. And then it wont happen for a week...

Here's my link if it helps: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/computer-shop-couldnt-solve-my-issue.3586473/#post-21663464

Mar 25, 2020
Update:

It’s been a while, but I thought I would just let everyone who tried to help know what I did to solve my issue.
I was completely going to change some of my specs, like what was talked about before. I wanted a iso for the CPU, a new motherboard, aftermarket fans, etc. but the first thing I started with was my case. The one I had previous, the NZXT H440, just wasn’t getting good airflow into the system, even some of the fans weren’t working properly, so I changed to the Phanteks P400A after seeing it was a highly rated case for airflow and keeping components cooler. Since changing that one part I have had no issues. I’m able to crank my settings back up to the highest they can go on new titles, and it hasn’t done the restart once.
my guess is the temps were getting to high on the components and something was shutting off to avoid damage. I could be wrong but if anyone else has this issue that would be something to try.
Thanks to everyone again for their suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.