[SOLVED] Computer randomly shuts down and restarts itself while gaming

Sep 24, 2020
Hello,

I am currently experiencing somewhat random shut-downs on my PC.
It usually happens while I'm playing a game (Path of Exile/Star Wars: TOR/Rainbow Six: Siege).
It more prominently occurs while running a game and an internet browser at the same time.
If I alt-tab between them, my monitor goes black, and then the PC shuts itself down.
However, I still get shut-downs while only running the games alone.

In detail, exactly what happens: Fans start getting loud, PC powers down, 2-3 seconds later, it powers itself back on.

My case has 5 fans total, with an open top and side. So overheating doesn't appear to be the issue.
My components:

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING
Intel Core i7 8700
WDC WD40EZRZ-00GXCBO
Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Power Supply: 850 W

I have taken it to multiple computer shops, and they have all come back saying the same thing:
"We've run all sorts of stress tests, and the computer passes them all no problem. Therefore <shrug>."

Anytime I try and recreate the problem in front of them, nothing happens, go figure.
But the moment I bring my computer home, and play a random game for about an hour, I get the random shut-down.

Windows Event Viewer is stating: KERNEL POWER 41

I have reviewed steps to resolve KERNEL POWER 41 errors, and completed most of the steps (some steps just don't apply to me).

The PC is cleaned thoroughly and consistently.

All my drivers are up to date.

My CPU temp on idle is 43 - 49 C.
While gaming (depending on the game) it will usually hover from 60 - 75 C.
GPU temp while on idle is 50 - 53 C.
While gaming (depending on the game) it will usually hover from 70 - 83 C.

I will respond to any additional questions that may need to be asked.

I greatly appreciate for anyone to give input on what steps they think I can take to hopefully try and resolve this issue.

Thank you for your time.

Solution
Possible? Sure.
Likely? Generally not, but things can happen.

Before we jump to conclusions, are you running the most recent BIOS for your mobo? From time to time, there will be BIOS revisions that improve memory compatibility & system stability.

If you update the BIOS, retest. Then, if you're still having issues, are you running the RAM on XMP or no? If yes, try turning XMP off for troubleshooting.
I'm ALWAYS highly suspect of a faulty stick of RAM when it's random restarts or BSODs.

You didn't mention how many sticks you have (I'll assume 2) so try your most repeatable "trigger" with only 1 stick installed. Then try with only the other stick installed.

Sep 24, 2020
I'm ALWAYS highly suspect of a faulty stick of RAM when it's random restarts or BSODs.

You didn't mention how many sticks you have (I'll assume 2) so try your most repeatable "trigger" with only 1 stick installed. Then try with only the other stick installed.
Thanks for the suggestion!
I currently have 2 8gb sticks.
I am currently testing out the 2nd stick as we speak.
The 1st stick lasted me a full day, then I got the crash as I was exiting out of Borderlands 3.
So I took it out and put the 2nd stick in by itself.
So I'm trying to recreate the issue, however it's difficult to replicate as it randomly occurs.
I will update soon.
Cheers.

Sep 24, 2020
Thanks for the suggestion!
I currently have 2 8gb sticks.
I am currently testing out the 2nd stick as we speak.
The 1st stick lasted me a full day, then I got the crash as I was exiting out of Borderlands 3.
So I took it out and put the 2nd stick in by itself.
So I'm trying to recreate the issue, however it's difficult to replicate as it randomly occurs.
I will update soon.
Cheers.
Okay - so my computer just crashed again on the 2nd stick.
Was playing Path of Exile.
I'm at a loss right now...
I've ran several computer scans using Norton, and everything comes back clean.
I don't have a clue what could be causing this...
Additionally: I ran Memtest86 while I had both of the ram sticks installed. Ran it overnight, and when I woke up I found out my computer crashed at roughly 2.5 hours after I ran the program.
Could it be possible that both of ram sticks are corrupted?

Last edited:
Possible? Sure.
Likely? Generally not, but things can happen.

Before we jump to conclusions, are you running the most recent BIOS for your mobo? From time to time, there will be BIOS revisions that improve memory compatibility & system stability.

If you update the BIOS, retest. Then, if you're still having issues, are you running the RAM on XMP or no? If yes, try turning XMP off for troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Solution