[SOLVED] Computer randomly shutting off since I got my new GPU yesterday.

leapoz

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
Hey, I got a new GPU yesterday. It is a Gigabyte RTX 2070, and I upgraded from a 1060 6gb. CPU is Ryzen 7 1700x. I plugged it in and set it up for the first time about 26 hours ago now, and at random times the computer will just suddenly shut off. The screens go black and all the lights turn off immediately with nothing implying that it would happen. I don't know why this is happening or what to do to fix or alleviate the issue. It has happened 4 times now, twice right when I hit play on Minecraft, and twice mid-game on Rainbow 6 Siege. My assumption is it may be a temperature issue and it might be over heating, but when I paid attention to the temps both the GPU and CPU seemed to only hit around 60-65c. I haven't fiddled with overclocking or done anything besides installing the GPU. Any suggestions on what to try or how to find out the issue?

Solution
EVGA 600B

if this is the issue I would not be surprised, but would be thoroughly embarrassed as the thought of power draw for some reason never crossed my mind when i decided I needed a new GPU...

also, would this heavily affect the fps I get in games?

Would it affect fps? No

Could it be the source of your problems? 600 watts should be enough but that depends on how old the psu is. The cheaper brands will lose up to 20% capacity as they age. ~550 W is the min i would rec with a 2070, depending on what other stuff is on your system.

Evga has some winners and losers in their psu lineup. I would check the chart at the top of the psu forum to see where it sits.

leapoz

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
What is your PSU?
EVGA 600B

if this is the issue I would not be surprised, but would be thoroughly embarrassed as the thought of power draw for some reason never crossed my mind when i decided I needed a new GPU...

EVGA 600B

Would it affect fps? No

Could it be the source of your problems? 600 watts should be enough but that depends on how old the psu is. The cheaper brands will lose up to 20% capacity as they age. ~550 W is the min i would rec with a 2070, depending on what other stuff is on your system.

Evga has some winners and losers in their psu lineup. I would check the chart at the top of the psu forum to see where it sits.

Solution

leapoz

Reputable
Jul 27, 2017
It sits at the bottom. Tier D. Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems
Yeah, I have had it for probably almost 5+ years now. I built the computer back when I got a 960, so it's even worse than you probably initially thought. I was much younger and had a lot less money, so I was definitely more attracted to the cheaper ones. Not really looking to spend a lot on a PSU right now but if it's necessary like it seems it may be, I could probably spend up to around $100 with a little bit of flex room. Any recommendations, or should I try something else besides a new PSU first?