[SOLVED] Computer randomly shutting off without warning or error code

Aug 21, 2020
Summary of Issue:
  • Back in May, I upgraded all the parts in my computer and everything was working fine for about a couple of weeks. Then all of a sudden it began to shut itself off randomly, without a code, and will sometimes boot up completely while other times will shut off as soon as it tries to start up again.
System Configuration:
  • Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk Max
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
  • GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT Sapphire Nitro + Special Edition
  • PSU: Corsair RM850 Performance ATX Power Supply 80 Plus Gold
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3200 CL16
Steps taken to try and fix problem:
  • I was using my old PSU before the one I listed here and was having the same issue. I thought the problem would be a faulty PSU so I replaced my old one with this new Corsair one. This has been the most common solution that has been suggested online, but it seems that the PSU is not the culprit as I'm still getting shut downs. However, after installing the new PSU the problem became less frequent and eventually stopped completely for about a week until it started up again out of nowhere.
  • I took out my RAM one at a time to see if either of the sticks were the problem (nothing changed).
  • I updated the motherboard BIOS and doubled checked the VBIOS of the graphics card which was already updated.
  • Reapplied the thermal paste of the CPU
  • Made sure all the cords were snug.
  • I had switched the graphics card with my old one (Radeon R9 380), and that was working for a time until it also began to shut down with that one too.
  • I've checked Event Viewer and it tells me that there was a Kernal-Power issue (which has happened 56 times over the last 24 hours), and it doesn't tell me much other than that the computer shut off unexpectedly.
Everything in my computer is brand new, and it doesn't matter what I'm doing with the computer. I could be playing games, watching Youtube videos, writing an email, it doesn't matter it will shut itself off. Even when I shut it down myself, it will boot up to shut down on its own.

Please help! Any help is much appreciated, thanks everyone.

TRENDING THREADS