[SOLVED] Computer randomly turning off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2020
Hey everybody i have a very VERY weird issue here and i have no idea how to fix it or where to even start. i originally thought it was the psu but i dont really know. So basically during using my computer Not just gaming my computer will turn off just out of no where. the power button will stop working so what i do is tap my case a few times and it turns on???? i dont know either. the power button does work once booted and on a normal shut down. but the shut down even is very random. for example i was playing for a good 3 hours last night and didnt shut down but it kept shutting down randomly before that and the next day it shut down still too. i have reseated my cpu, graphics card, ram, checked my power button, ran stress test, checked tempatures checked shut down logs limited cpu power limited gpu power reformatted my computer twice disabled windows update and finally update to windows beta. I cant find anything 😐 So please help me and here are my specs:

Corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb 3200mhz c16

asus rog strix gtx 1660 super advanced 6gb

amd ryzen 5 2600

evga 500 w1 80+ White

Nzxt h510

asus rog strix b450-f gaming motherboard atx amd ryzen 2 am4

thanks!

Solution
It could be the PSU.
I would try a reliable 550W PSU. The cheapest I would go: CORSAIR CX Series CX550.

EVGA makes some nice PSU (G3,G+,G1+,B2, GQ) but the W1 is not one of them.
They work fine on system with low power GPUs that do not require power auxiliary power.
You could have a faulty power or reset button or front panel.
To rule them out, disconnect both, the power and reset button wires from the motherboard.
Power your PC by shorting the pins where the power button wires should be connected.
You could short the pins with a flat screw driver.

If the PC stills power off then it could be another issue.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020
You could have a faulty power or reset button or front panel.
To rule them out, disconnect both, the power and reset button wires from the motherboard.
Power your PC by shorting the pins where the power button wires should be connected.
You could short the pins with a flat screw driver.

If the PC stills power off then it could be another issue.
I have disconnected the case a little while ago and have been shorting the pins to turn on my computer as i have been getting annoyed with the power button. computer turns on just fine,

Apr 8, 2020
I think we know that the computer turns on. it has to turn on for it to randomly power off.
Is the "computer randomly turning off" when the front panel is disconnected?
it randomly turns off when it is both connected and disconnected. has not made a difference so to answer your question yes

It could be the PSU.
I would try a reliable 550W PSU. The cheapest I would go: CORSAIR CX Series CX550.

EVGA makes some nice PSU (G3,G+,G1+,B2, GQ) but the W1 is not one of them.
They work fine on system with low power GPUs that do not require power auxiliary power.

Solution
Apr 8, 2020
That's a very good PSU...more than the wattage you need at the moment, but it will give you room for future upgrades.
Prices have gone up a bit lately. :(
yeah very expensive i thought for a psu but better be safe then sorry. ill return the original one i bought. thanks for your help i will update the thread once i get the psu and see if it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.