Computer randomly turns off and need to troubleshoot problem - help!

fattybobbyjones

Reputable
Dec 27, 2017
Parts List:
Amd fx-6300
gigabyte ga-970a-d3p
8gbs 1333mhz ripjaws ram
120gb kingston ssd
3tb wd hard drive
Sapphire Radeon 280x
650w antec true gaming power supply

I need help, my computer keeps turning off and has been doing so for about the past year. However, it doesn't actually completely turn off, it's more like it goes into hibernation, because the display and sound turns off, but the PC just quiets down alot and is still on, but the sound and display is not working. Like the LEDS and FANs and everything are still on but its much more quiet than when the PC is fully up and running. If I wait long enough though it will restart itself and turn back on, but this is very random and therefore I cannot notice a pattern. Sometimes it can take 10 minutes to restart, sometimes 2 hours. Also, when my PC turns off, the main thing I noticed is that to restart it I can't just hold the power button, as it remains still on so I have to switch the power off at the back of the PC, unplug the cord, wait 5 secs, then plug back in and switch on. I have to literally do this every time to restart my PC and it's getting annoying. I have already tested the CPU, MOBO and RAM by swapping it with my mates that work absolutely fine in his PC. The problem remained when I used his parts so that eliminates those three parts. The only parts that could be causing this problem is the PSU, SSD/Windows 10 or the GPU. I personally think its either the SSD or PSU mainly, but I really need some tips. I'll eventually spend money on one of these components, but I want to make sure I don't waste my money before doing so. Any ideas fam??? Please help, thank you!

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
From what I am hearing it sounds like a power issue.

I would take the PSU to get tested or buy a tester and test it yourself.

Maybe try changing the CMOS battery specifically? If it worked in another rig it should be fine but at the same time they are like $3... so worth a shot?

jr9

Estimable
The hibernation you describe is strange. I thought perhaps you had an issue with Windows going into sleep or hibernation mode at first, but that isn't the case if fans are still running and it won't respond to soft power. Electrical issue.

I would try another power supply first and then another GPU second.

SSDs or hard drives generally will not cause your PC to shut down in this matter. I do not think this is a software or Windows related issue.

fattybobbyjones

Reputable
Dec 27, 2017

Thankyou very much for the replies. I have just noticed another problem by opening my case and observing what happens when my pc is on. I've come to realize that one of my GPU fans are not spinning (dual-x fans) and only one is working. Could this be what is casuing the problem. I have checked the temps of the GPU while gaming and they don't go too high, they are moderately stay around 45-60 but mainly in the 40s early 50s degrees. I would think the only reason it would turn off from having on fan working is from overheating, right? But my GPU temps look decent. Can it shut down because of only one fan of the GPU functioning? Thanks.

P.S. I am taking my PC to my mates place tomorrow to use his GPU and PSU, but still want to be sure so I don't waste much of his time, lol.

jr9

Estimable
Some cards particularity 200 and 300 series Radeon cards will only run one fan until it reaches a certain thermal point, then both fans spin up. If you use MSI afterburner and manually set both fans to max speed (you have to unlock the fans, click auto bottom right) and the fans don't both spin then you might have an issue with fans. It's common to just have one fan quit completely on 200 series but you won't see shutdowns unless you hit higher temps in the 90s. You'll see throtting (framerate plummets) first and most cards won't die with no fans just run badly. I'd still try another card after trying another GPU. Since it's a 280x I'm torn between PSU or GPU.

In other cases sometimes the fans stop working or break all together. I have 6 Radeon 280x cards from various vendors at the shop where the fans died or the cards started flaking out (blackscreeens, hard resets, busted fans) , it is an extremely common problem with the 200 series and some places pulled them off the shelves.

chinaman

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
Check your windows power plan settings screen can also be accessed from the Control Panel. Click the “Hardware and Sound” category and then select “Power Options.” you can set it to balanced, power saver or high performance.

fattybobbyjones

Reputable
Dec 27, 2017

That is very interesting to hear. However, I'm like 90% sure that my fans always spun (both fans), I don't remember only 1 working. It is only recently that I discovered this problem.

fattybobbyjones

Reputable
Dec 27, 2017

Hey, I just bought a new power supply because it was on sale and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. It is this one..
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cs-series-modular-cs650m-650-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu

Would this be better than my current 650antec power supply which is from lioke 4 years ago. lol

fattybobbyjones

Reputable
Dec 27, 2017

Really the same quality? My power supply in my PC is only bronze efficiency certiified and much older than the corsair one, whereas the corsair is 80+ gold efficiency? I really hope I didn't waste my money. LOL. I'm an idiot...

jr9

Estimable
The Antec page for the TruePower displays the efficiency certification in yellow/gold letters on a black background so my brain assumed that was gold certified and therefore the same as the Corsair. I guess reading it helps.

It won't have the wear on the old PSU and will be more energy efficient so that's improvement. Hopefully it solves the shutting off issue as well.