[SOLVED] Computer randomly turns off when playing games

Mar 26, 2021
I built a new computer and I've had it around 5 months now. I started running into this weird issue where something when I'm playing any kind of game, my computer will shut off. All the lights shut off except for the RAM RGB lights and the computer power and reset buttons do not do anything. I have to unplug the computer and then plug it back in to get the pc back on. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, I'm in the middle of a competitive game in Overwatch or Rocket League and the leave bans get annoying. I looked in the event viewer and it just says that the computer shutdown unexpectedly.

System specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5950x
GPU: AMD 6900XT
Mainboard: ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus WiFi
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 4000Mghz (4 x 8GB)
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler
Storage: Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 500GB M.2., Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 1TB M.2.
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5, 80 Plus Gold 850W

All my drivers are up to date

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021
are you monitoring temps on icue software could try whocrashed free software,
I am and I have MSI Afterburner pulled up as well. Like I said the temps stay usually below 60c and sometimes 50c, CPU and GPU. I'll try the whocrashed software, but does it only work if the pc bluescreens? My pc just shuts off completely, no sign of any error or bluescreen

haggisdog

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I had a similar problem with a PC a few years ago and it was very difficult to troubleshoot. It turned out that one of my RAM sticks was bad but it was in the 3rd or 4th slot so it wouldn't cause an issue until there was a lot of demand on the PC. Anyway, you might want to pull out each stick and test it individually (that's what I had to do anyway since the RAM tests I conducted didn't show an issue).