Computer recognizing USB Mass storage device but not shown through com

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjphipps

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I’m using an IDE to USB cable to see an external hard drive. My computer recognizes the USB mass storage device as seen in the Device Manager but I can’t see it on my computer.

Matan Eldan

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
If you can see it under Device Manager as working and not in My Computer at all you will need to undo any partition and then do a quick format to get it to work. You should also notice the LED not flashing before you do this. I JUST did this to two different HD's. One was a Passport and the other a My Book.

I right clicked on My Computer, clicked on Manage, then on the left you will see Disk Management. Click on that. You should see ALL of your HD's as well as your Burners. Right click on your "broken" HD and delete volume. It should go Unallocated. Right click on Drive again and format with a quick format since you have no data on it anymore. It should work. Good luck!

jjphipps

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

Thanks for the info. I need to keep the data. I want to run a virus scan on the HD and then transfer the data to an external HD. All the jumpers are correct. The HD works fine in the intended computer, but it's not allowing me to see it in my computer.

What else can I do?

Nate785

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I realize this is an old thread but i am dealing with almost exactly the same situation only mine is with a smaller 1.8" hdd connecting to a usb/ZIF connector. It shows up when I plug it in and automatically installs it but just like yours its not appearing in my computer and I also need to keep the data on it. Thanks in advance if you can let me know what you ended up doing.

fishnchips_60

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

Hi, I am a computer engineer from Pakistan, currently in the UK. The possible cause of your problem is a Bios password protected hard-drive. You need to place the HDD into the original system and from the bios boot process on start up disable the password in the bios. I don't know if this will work if you put the HDD into another computer as an internal HDD it may work, I've never tried it though. Ideally you need to place it into the original pc on which the bios password was activated. At the moment I personally don't know of any software which can disable a bios password protected external HDD. You might want to Google that.

P.S, please let me know if my solution worked for you.

plesac

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
I solve this by going to Device manager-disk drives. Theare i have basic drive and my ext usb storage. Right click on it and update driver. That didnt work so i go to disable. restart computer and again to Device manager-disk drives and then right click again and enable on my ext usb storage. It got a letter and become visible in disc management. Hope this will help to others

plesac

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
I solve this by going to Device manager-disk drives. Theare i have basic drive and my ext usb storage. Right click on it and update driver. That didnt work so i go to disable. restart computer and again to Device manager-disk drives and then right click again and enable on my ext usb storage. It got a letter and become visible in disc management. Hope this will help to others

MHaziq

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
AoA.. I am Haziq from Pakistan, this error can be solved by right click on my computer->manage->disk management
there you will see your drive that is not appearing... right click on its icon -> change drive letter and paths->add->assign letter to the drive
click OK and then ur drive will appear :)

S3xyG4m3r

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Bro try this.
Step 1- Right click My Computer.
Step 2- Click on Manage.
Step 3- On the left panel Click Device Manager.
Step 4- The middle panel click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
Step 5- Locate your USB.
For example,
Mine was Cruzer Blade.
Step 6- Click on it and check the device status.
For example,Mine was "There are no drivers installed"
Step 7- Once confirmed Click on the Driver tab.
Step 8- Uninstall the driver.
Nope I'm not trolling...it worked for me.
Plus it didn't delete any of my files.
Hope this helped.
And Sorry for the long post.

Status
Not open for further replies.