Question Computer resets when headphones pulled from front headphone jack

May 2, 2022
OK, weird sound and system reset problem!

My system:
Windows 11, MSI Meg Z490 Ace motherboard, Obsidian 750D case, motherboard Realtek sound components/drivers

Observations and Problem:
Sound works fine. I have a cable going from MB jack on back of system to an AC power speaker system.
I plug in the headphones on the front panel 3.5mm headphone connector. Good sound in headphones, speakers connected via MB jack turns off. OK
When I take out the headphone jack from the front panel connector, my whole computer resets!

Causes & Solutions:
[1] Could the headphone connector have a mechanical issue with the contacts doing something strange upon pulling out the headphone jack?
[2} Could there be a problem with the Realtek driver that does crazy stuff when the headphone jack is pulled out?
[3] Something not correct on the path from the headphone connector to the motherboard header which you plug in the cable front the front panel?
[4] Until I can figure out a solution, I am going to have to use a "1 to 2" selector box to route the sound from the MB 3.5mm audio connector to either my headphones or to the external speaker system.

Any ideas what could be going on here?
Thanks!

I'm sure MSI and RealTek will be all over that...! (And that's a pretty bizarre little anomaly you've discovered)

Does it do it with more than one set of headsets?

If this seems a consistent issue, one would have to guess some weird driver/sensing/application issue, but, undoubtedly each manufacturer will point the proverbial finger at other manufacturer, deflect, punt, annnnnnd ....do nothing.

May 2, 2022
I'm sure MSI and RealTek will be all over that...! (And that's a pretty bizarre little anomaly you've discovered)

Does it do it with more than one set of headsets?

If this seems a consistent issue, one would have to guess some weird driver/sensing/application issue, but, undoubtedly each manufacturer will point the proverbial finger at other manufacturer, deflect, punt, annnnnnd ....do nothing.
I tried it three times and was afraid to keep doing it for fear something might be doing bad things. Only the same headphones.

I tried it three times and was afraid to keep doing it for fear something might be doing bad things. Only the same headphones.
You could try detaching the Reset Button wire from the motherboard's terminals. At least that would give you temporary relief. There may be some looseness in that front panel that contains both the headphone jack and reset button and the physical movement of pulling the headphone plug out of the jack may jar the reset button enough for it to connect. You will have to examine that part of the panel closely to see if anything there is loose or capable of making electrical contact that would activate the reset circuit. Or you could just live without a reset button not being connected to the motherboard.

May 2, 2022
You could try detaching the Reset Button wire from the motherboard's terminals. At least that would give you temporary relief. There may be some looseness in that front panel that contains both the headphone jack and reset button and the physical movement of pulling the headphone plug out of the jack may jar the reset button enough for it to connect. You will have to examine that part of the panel closely to see if anything there is loose or capable of making electrical contact that would activate the reset circuit. Or you could just live without a reset button not being connected to the motherboard.
Thanks dwd999 for your thoughts. Yeah, at some point I will have to bite the bullet and try to get access to the little front panel strip that has all the jacks, usb ports, on off switch , reset switch, etc and take a look at the things you brought up. In the meantime, I purchased an audio 2/1 1/2 switch and I will hook that up to the audio output jack that is in the back off the motherboard. Then it will feed either the headphones or the exte33rnal speaker system. Already verified that the headphones work in that jack and all is ok. This is a new custom system build and it has had its share of issues ( Bad Corsair HX1000 psu, bad ATA cable, unable to purchase a decent video card without paying 3X times MSRP, and now this!). But otherwise it seems to be operating OK now.
Thanks all!

Reactions: dwd999