Computer restarting issue

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Im just going to start off with I don't know if this is the correct place for this post.

So my mate got me to look at his computer because it has been having issues. When he tries to start up a game whether its a small indie game or say battlefield it will just restart the computer. Running Furmark also restarts the computer. It does just happen when playing/starting games sometimes it just happens out of the blue. There is a red light blinking next to the ram on the mobo. I was thinking it could be a dying PSU but not 100% sure on it

MOBO - asus m5a97 r2.0
CPU - AMD FX 8350
RAM- Corsair 8gb 1600
PSU- Corsair vs650

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013

original heatsink did have a h60 on it but put the original heatsink back on due to h60 dying but the heat isnt an issue doesnt run hot, GPU is am older AMD card I think a 7950

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013

These are all idle because cant run anything without it restarting, Can run Prime95 with small FFTs that gets around 75C under full load, But cannot run Furmark without restart which made me think maybe a GPU issue or Power issue

Idle
CPU - 31C
GPU - 26C

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013

Nothing is OC everything is stock, I guess I could take my PSU and GPU out of my main rig to troubleshoot

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013

Havent got to troubleshoot yet but this just happened, The computer display lost signal, so the computer sounded like everything was running but the screen went to lost signal like nothing was plugged in. I'll test the GPU soon with my own. I forgot to mention the other day my mate said it got stuck into a restart loop where it restarted about 10 times in a row.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This does appear to be a PSU issue. Testing the memory would be a good idea to rule it out (memtest), if the system will stay up long enough.

http://www.memtest.org/

You should also visually inspect the motherboard for any possible damage (leaking capacitor or burnt components, for example).

Raeks

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Super late reply because I have been swamped with work and other duties, I ended up taking it in to a so called PC repair place the other day. They said it was the Graphics card and said to purchase another one. So I did because I was over trying to resolve the issue myself. Problem is the same issue still persists so I think they just assumed because it was an old graphics card that was the issue. Should I take it back to the store and tell them to do further tests. I even told them that I tested the GPU in my rig and they said "maybe you got lucky"

I really dont want to rip my PSU out of my main rig to try troubleshoot, I'd rather not deal with cable management again. Is there any other way I cant test the PSU