Question Computer restarting when playing games but not when stress testing.

Jul 28, 2022
I have a b660m mortar and a i5-12600k with ddr5 5600mhz ram running at 4800mhz. I also have a 2070 super and 750w power supply that works. When I stress test everything with aida64 I have no issues but sometimes when I am playing games like cyberpunk or elden ring my pc completely restarts without warning. I have reseated the ram, cpu, gpu and cleaned everything as I did that. I have reinstalled windows and all graphics drivers. At this point I’m totally lost and just want a functioning pc. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Jul 28, 2022
What is the make/model of your psu?

When playing graphics intensive games, the gpu will draw more power than normal.

If your psu is not up to the task, that could be the problem.
It’s a Corsair rm 750 psu. I could be wrong here but I feel like it is not the psu because with aida64 I stressed everything and it did not crash and shouldn’t that be the maximum power draw?

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
It’s a Corsair rm 750 psu. I could be wrong here but I feel like it is not the psu because with aida64 I stressed everything and it did not crash and shouldn’t that be the maximum power draw?

Well, the thing with a synthetic benchmark is that it doesn't hit your system with spikes and dips like a game would. But I agree a 750w PSU should be more than sufficient. Are all your PSU cables connected securely in the unit and in all the computer components?

Reactions: PiwkoPerson
Jul 28, 2022
Well, the thing with a synthetic benchmark is that it doesn't hit your system with spikes and dips like a game would. But I agree a 750w PSU should be more than sufficient. Are all your PSU cables connected securely in the unit and in all the computer components?
Yes I have practically rebuilt my pc checking all of the connections.

Jul 28, 2022
Are you overclocking at all? Did you try reinstalling the graphics drivers with a clean installation? Something isn't stable. Possibly an overheating issue too.
I am not overclocking at all. At first I had xmp enabled but I turned it off the first time it crashed. I uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers. On aida64 and on hwmonitor there were no signs of overheating. I have i have a noctua ndh 15 for my cpu and 7 case fans.

Jul 28, 2022
aida64 is primarily a cpu stress test.
You want a graphics stress test.
Corsair rm is a quality unit.
Your unit comes with dual 6+2 connectors on leads.
If you connected both on one lead, for cable management purposes, you may not be giving sufficient power.
Try using a separate lead to each of the two 2070 connectors.
I will try this thank you!

Jul 28, 2022
Solution and update. It was either the psu, me not having both cpu connectors in on the motherboard, or having two different pcie power supply cables going to the cpu. Thank you to everyone who helped.

Reactions: CompuGuy71