Computer restarts like 30 minutes playing Watch dogs

kaly182

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Hello guys!

I read all about those existing problems when PC restarts after playing games. I have slightly different problem. Yes my computer restarts after playing high end games like Watchdogs and GTA 4. Never had problems with games like Test Drive Unlimited 2, OMSI 2, Minecraft, Dirt 3, F1 2013...

Because GTA 4 is old that was not a problem, but Watch dogs is new game and i wanna play. So i had the problem only with those two games. GTA 4 and watch dogs reboot my PC after 20 - 30 minutes of gameplay.

My diagnostic:
1. Event viewer : Power went off
2. Memtest86: All OK!
3. Fun mark test for GPU: All OK without restart on full load and on max temperature.

So if temperature is ok and GPU works fine, ram is ok, PSU was ok in full GPU load in test…..So what is it. Please help, I am desperate.

My spec:
Asus P8z68-v PRO
I7 2550K
16GB Kingston RAM
AMD Radeon 6990 HD
PSU 1000W Bronze Chiftec

Solution

But your miner isn't running games. Swap one of your 280x cards to your gaming PC and see if it does the restart thing. If it does, then your either your PSU just can't handle...

kaly182

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Temperature is defenetly not an issue. I observed it: Cpu: is 45 - 50 (Nocha cooler), 6990 is up to 80 and maybe a degree more. Fun mark test had no restart and 6990 got up to 96 degrees.

kaly182

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
OK, now i find one solution which is fine because now i do not get restarts but I get slower performance without rebooting. In asus motherboard bios i selected power sawing mode (power saving / normal / asus performance saving - something like that). Before it was set to normal.

But now is problem overall PC performance which is slower that before. What could be the problem? Compatibility issue or should I try update asus motherboard? Could be the PSU? - But i tried it on my miner with 3x 280x radeon cards and it worked without crashes or reboots. Help!

But your miner isn't running games. Swap one of your 280x cards to your gaming PC and see if it does the restart thing. If it does, then your either your PSU just can't handle the game load or your motherboard may be getting too hot on the bridges or failing altogether.

Solution

IrnMan

Reputable
May 29, 2014
What PSU are you running? More graphically demanding games put more load on the GPU so it uses more power. A low watt/amp power supply could be your problem, which might be why switching to power saving mode has helped the issue.

kaly182

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Thanks,
I think Psu and Gpu are not a problem because now i removed 8GB of newer ram (4+4GB) and changed bios settings back to normal performance and it worked without rebooting.

Great but why the hell I cant have 16GB of ram inside. I bought exactly the same ram with the same part number. Why is this an issue?

Were you overclocking the ram? what if you run all the ram at stock clocks?