Question Computer router

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hi,

Hope you are doing well!!

I have a question about Routers. I have an internet package with Xfinity a gigabyte package and I get 1200 down for a speed. because Xfinity upgrade there speed for free to all xfinity customers. So there is nothing wrong there. I do not get great bandwidth speeds when I download anything Like torrents or anything. So I may have what they call Bufferbloat on the router. But I only have Qos and the router does not support 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt or tomato. Or anything. The router is an x6 I believe Netgear Nighthawk Router. Bufferbloat is not just for gaming it's also for surfing the internet and all that stuff there. So I guess my question to you is. Can you tell me a netgear Nighthawk router that I could buy that supports actice queu Managment? Or smart queu managment. And also can keep up with the speeds Of My arris S33 Surfboard and the speed that My cable company is providing to me. I have had them out of course they tell me that everything is fine on there end. and I connect with a straight cable modem and everything is fine there. But when I get to the router side of things. My speed drops. Or could you maybe tell me of a router that supports both active Queu Managment and also supports dd-wrt or Tomato. Because I know that they come with this feature.

Thank you so much!

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Okay and how many seeds and leachers I get that But even when I download from a lot of seeds and leechers I'm still not getting great speeds and it's just anything that I download. Torrent is just one example So can you help me with My question?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay and how many seeds and leachers I get that But even when I download from a lot of seeds and leechers I'm still not getting great speeds and it's just anything that I download. Torrent is just one example So can you help me with My question?
So that we're all on the same starting page, with whatever your current setup....what speed is reported by speedtest.net?

You have been reading too many "gamer" sites where they sit around and chant bufferbloat, bufferbloat but have no clue what it is.

It is a very simple concept. If there is more traffic than can be send the data is placed in a memory ie a buffer. This is done rather than discard the data if it can not be sent immediately. It actually helps increase the speed of download because when data is discarded the machine detect the loss and drop to a slower sending speed for a period of time. Pretty much it is only games that care about bufferbloat. They actually would rather have some small amount of traffic discarded rather than have data delayed.

The key thing is you never have data being placed into a buffer unless you have exceeded the line capacity. You likely will not exceed a gigabit internet. Now I guess if you were stupid and got your torrents to work at maximum rate and then still tried to play games at the same time you could see bufferbloat. The solution is not some fancy software it is to make sure you do not exceed the capacity. This is far different than someone who say only has a 10mbps DSL connection.

What may actually be your problem is if you have been messing around with any kind of QoS either on the router or on the pc. When you have a very fast internet connection it takes a huge amount of cpu power to look at all the data. The only way consumer routers can get the high speed they do is to put the NAT function in hardware and bypass the router CPU. Many even very simple feature like traffic reports force the data to pass through the cpu and you will cap your speed well under 300mbps even on the fastest router.

The only way you can even think to do firewall or QoS type stuff on gigabit circuits is to use a actual PC that has a much larger CPU.

Now you can have this same issue even on your pc. There is all kinds of silly stuff that they pretend can reduce lag in games. One common program is called CFOSspeed. This software will greatly reduce download rates when you have a very fast internet connection.

I would first factory reset your router and then only set the very minimum features like the admin and wifi passwords. Make sure you pc does not have any garbage qos or other software favoring traffic.

After than see what speed test sites say. If you get full rates on speed test but not on other download sites it likely is something about how the other site functions. Torrents are completely unpredictable because it depends on how much upload bandwidth other people have.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hi so sorry I'm late getting back to you about My issue with bandwidth not being the right speed I have a 1200 gbps connection I get
PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps
Now I just had a cable field technician out to my house today.6-22-2022 and they put an attinuator Like a small signal booster on my line not sure if it did anything. Maybe I'am getting the right speeds I can't tell just by looking at the numbers but I know when I go to download software or drivers or anything from torrent I get lousy MBPS or gbps. Funny thing though if I go into my network controller and go into the advanced settings there are 2 settings in there one is for Recieve buffers and the other is for transmit buffers and I go and increase them to 2048 I see a tad bit of an omprovment when I run a speed test. and if I go past 2048 I'm on 4048 right now for Both Transmit and recieve buffer size I get a tad better. But I had to go into the registry to ake it higher then 2048 that is the max. So I think it is a buffer issue. So I was wondering if you could recommend for me a gigabyte nighthawk router that has active Queue Managment. Or a Night hawk netgear that will keep up with the speed of my modem and my connection from xfinity but supports dd-wrt firmware because I know the third party firmwares support Active Queue Managment

Thank you.

So what again is your problem. Are you suppose to get 1200 upload speed also ?

If you get 944 that is about all you can possibly get on a gigabit ethernet cable.

If you mean other download software has issue then it is more complex. First you need to be sure you are always talking the same units many download programs use MBYTES where speedtest etc uses mbits.

There is no easy way to predict the download speed you will get. I mean what do you get if you go to microsoft and download a windows 11 image. The site you download from has to have enough bandwidth to give you the speeds you want. Speedtest sites are actually file downloads that are not kept. Speedtest though does not download huge files that take more than a minute or two so it is fewer people are trying to use the resources exactly at the same time. Other sites have more issues, some game companies are very slow when they first put out a new patch.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
So what again is your problem. Are you suppose to get 1200 upload speed also ?

If you get 944 that is about all you can possibly get on a gigabit ethernet cable.

If you mean other download software has issue then it is more complex. First you need to be sure you are always talking the same units many download programs use MBYTES where speedtest etc uses mbits.

There is no easy way to predict the download speed you will get. I mean what do you get if you go to microsoft and download a windows 11 image. The site you download from has to have enough bandwidth to give you the speeds you want. Speedtest sites are actually file downloads that are not kept. Speedtest though does not download huge files that take more than a minute or two so it is fewer people are trying to use the resources exactly at the same time. Other sites have more issues, some game companies are very slow when they first put out a new patch.
Yeah I guess your right because I was looking at this router here.

https://evenroute.com/bufferbloat-fix/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwpXUh_PB-AIVF9uGCh2DMwVhEAAYASAAEgJer_D_BwE But I just ran a speed test with just a straight modem connection and I didn't get much faster at all. So I guess your right. Thank you for your advice. Let me know what you think of the router. Is it just marketing <Mod Edit> or is there some truth to this router actually working for something Like buffer bloat. Right I think I'm talking about megabits. And I have never gone to Microsofts website and downloaded an image but I think your right none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the standard scam talk using lots of tech words and confuse people into thinking something complex is better. You actually have to have a bufferbloat issue to begin with, it generally means you are over utilizing your internet which is the actual issue not that data is being held in buffers.

This is like a salesmen in south florida talking about how well their tires perform in snow. All the stats may be impressive but when it never snows in the first place it all doesn't matter.

Yeah I guess your right because I was looking at this router here.

https://evenroute.com/bufferbloat-fix/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwpXUh_PB-AIVF9uGCh2DMwVhEAAYASAAEgJer_D_BwE But I just ran a speed test with just a straight modem connection and I didn't get much faster at all. So I guess your right. Thank you for your advice. Let me know what you think of the router. Is it just marketing <Mod Edit> or is there some truth to this router actually working for something Like buffer bloat. Right I think I'm talking about megabits. And I have never gone to Microsofts website and downloaded an image but I think your right none the less.

It does work but none of the low power chips will touch a 1Gbs line. You would have to run fq_codel or cake on an intel or amd. Both the iq router and nighthawk use those qdisc which are very effective at managing bufferbloat for your low bandwidth connections. Idk how you have any issues with it on a 1Gbs line you might want to make sure you're getting those speeds. With only 44Mbs you might want to try and get a little more upload. If you BT and you upload is uncapped its going to choke you fast.

Hi so sorry I'm late getting back to you about My issue with bandwidth not being the right speed I have a 1200 gbps connection I get
PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps
Now I just had a cable field technician out to my house today.6-22-2022 and they put an attinuator Like a small signal booster on my line not sure if it did anything. Maybe I'am getting the right speeds I can't tell just by looking at the numbers but I know when I go to download software or drivers or anything from torrent I get lousy MBPS or gbps. Funny thing though if I go into my network controller and go into the advanced settings there are 2 settings in there one is for Recieve buffers and the other is for transmit buffers and I go and increase them to 2048 I see a tad bit of an omprovment when I run a speed test. and if I go past 2048 I'm on 4048 right now for Both Transmit and recieve buffer size I get a tad better. But I had to go into the registry to ake it higher then 2048 that is the max. So I think it is a buffer issue. So I was wondering if you could recommend for me a gigabyte nighthawk router that has active Queue Managment. Or a Night hawk netgear that will keep up with the speed of my modem and my connection from xfinity but supports dd-wrt firmware because I know the third party firmwares support Active Queue Managment

Thank you.

Buffer sizing is for bandwith efficiency and there's calculators for it. I wouldn't mess with those numbers. Making it bigger is def not the correct direction. When your download is congested it's being buffered elsewhere. That would only have an impact if the client was a bottleneck in your lan.

Reactions: Kinnyr90